Chapter 2

I got out of the elevator with Colonel Boggs. A helicopter sat waiting to be boarded. I saw a familiar guy standing next to it. Gale. I ran up and hugged him tight.

"I can't believe you're going through with this. You can say 'no'." Gale said. I faced him.

"I need to see it for myself." I said.

"This way." Boggs directed. Gale led me into the helicopter. As we sat down the door closed and we took off into the air.

***

Me and Gale stood at the door.

"13 swept everything top to bottom so you'd be safe. You sure you don't want me to go with you?" Gale asked concerned. The door opened.

"Yeah I'm sure." I answered.

"We'll have our eyes on you from above." Gale said. I nodded and stepped out of the helicopter. The helicopter took off and I was left alone. My jaw dropped when I saw my surroundings. Everything was reduced to rubble. Everything. Smoke rose from various places. I walked around. I started to walk up a dirt mound when something crunched under my boot. I looked at what I had stepped on. I gasped. It was a skull. I felt like throwing up. Shaking, I climbed to the top of the dirt mound. On the other side of the mound, thousands of skeletal bodies lay. I fell to my feet. I couldn't breathe. This is exactly what Snow said he would do. I shuddered. Tears poured down my face.

***
I walked through where I lived before The Quarter Quell. Oddly enough the mansions were still standing. I walked into my house. I found a bag. I slung it over my shoulder. I started putting in some left behind homemade medicine that my mother had made. Suddenly something broke behind me. I gasped and jumped around. Bri's cat had walked through the broken window. All fear settled down. How in the world did this cat not get killed? I opened my bag and forced the cat inside.

"Don't you wanna see Bri?" I said. The cat kept meowing.

"Oh you're breaking my heart." I said jokingly. I then kept walking through the house. The cat yowled.

"Shh." I said. Something curious caught my eye. A vase of wilted flowers sat on the desk. A single white rose laid in the middle. Perfectly bloomed. Untouched. I picked it up. I suddenly dropped it. The flower is from Snow. I looked around to see if anyone was hiding, ready to pounce on me. But no I was still completely alone.

***
3rd Person POV:

President Snow sat as his desk, ready to give a message to Panem. The camera turned on and Snow started speaking.

"Citizens, tonight I address all of Panem as one." Snow said. Every District was watching the broadcast in front of city hall where guards have gathered them.

"Since the Dark Days, Panem has had an unprecedented era of peace. It is a piece built upon cooperation. And a respect for law and order. In the past weeks you have heard of sporadic violence following the actions of a few radicals in the Quarter Quell. Those who choose this destructive path, your actions are based on a misunderstanding of how we have survived. Together. It is a contract. Each District supplies the Capitol. Like blood to a heart. In return, the Capitol provides order and security. To refuse work, is to put the entire system in danger. The Capitol is the beating heart of Panem. Nothing can survive without a heart." Snow preached. On each District city hall stage, 'criminals' as Snow calls them are on their knees.

"These criminals that kneel before you, use symbols for the purpose of sedition. Which is why all images of The Mockingjay are now forbidden. Possessing them will be considered treason. Punishable by death. Justice shall be served swiftly. Order shall be restored. To those who ignore the warnings of history,..." Snow threatened. Suddenly all of the 'criminals' were shot by guards. People screamed in fear.

"...prepare to pay the ultimate price."