2 - Mud Between My Toes (Part 4 of 4)

I was walking down a long hallway.  But it wasn’t Ketsumu Academy.  It was my old school, back in Jukyuu City.  And there was a child walking in front of me who kept tripping on the length of his slacks.  He led me into a familiar room.  I couldn’t see his face.

“I lost my mom a long time ago, but sometimes it feels like she’s still around,” the child said.

“Really,” replied the doctor.

“It was a car accident.”

“I see.”

“And,” the child continued, shifting in his chair.  “I was four.  So, seven years ago.”

“You live with your father, then?”

“I live with my Auntie.”

“So your father is also dead?”

The child cocked his head. “No,” he said.  “He’s just not around.”

“Roll up your sleeve, little one.  Let me see what happened.”

The child shifted his sleeve and held out his arm so we both could see.  There were scars etched along the skin.  Shiny and purple.  They went in every direction but never touched.

“Those are my scars,” I said, but neither of them heard me.

“Is someone hurting you?” asked the doctor.  “Or are you hurting yourself?”

“Both,” said the child. 

“With something like this, perhaps,” he said, pulling a letter opener from his desk.

The child and I watched as he used the blade to slice away his own hair.  Pieces of black fuzz littered the ground until all I could see was the doctor’s white scalp.  His eyes were red and looked at me with fire.  But he was not the doctor anymore.  He was the spectre.

“Behold,” it said softly.  The child was crying.  “Behold.”

****

Author's Note:

Well, that's the end of Chapter 2, hope you enjoyed it :) 

Chapter 3 will be coming soon, but I want to do some edits on it, so give me about a week or so (less if my teachers ease up on homework lol) to have it up.

Thanks for all of your comments and everything :) Please vote for me, too, if you've been enjoying this. I really want to win the Watty Awards!! I got up to over 2,000 reads and 200 comments, so I'm pretty excited about it :D

Since I've been doing a lot of editing, please let me know what you think of this! Thanks again <3