Arc 1.3 - Reading at Night

[ARC 1.3]
-Reading at Night

It was currently deep in the night. Around 10:15 pm.

As Wang Jieyi was flipping the pages of the books he went to get from the Wang Family's library, he heard a call from his second older brother, Wang Qinxi.

Wang Qinxi was outside of his room, in front of the door. He knocked and asked with his voice deliberately lowered. "Are you in there, Xiao-Yi?"

He closed the book and stood up from his chair. He didn't forget to turn off the night lamp too, the electricity must not be wasted especially since in this times, electricity had only been introduced to the world-no, more like the Nobles' World for less than two decades and it was still rather scarce in this era. Commoners were still using candles while the Nobles had an upgrade in technology, electricity was one of them.

Wang Jieyi walked up to the door and slowly opened it as to not make any noises. "Come in and we'll talk inside of my room. Remember to be quiet, everyone at this time is sleeping." He whispered very low so that only the two of them can hear what he is saying.

Closing the door, he decided to just light up the candle putting it inside of a candlestick and placed it on top of his study table. Wang Jieyi patted his large white bed, signalling for his older brother to sit. He noticed that Wang Qinxi, his second brother was holding quite a few books. He helped him by taking half of it and sat it on the side of the bed where neither he nor Qinxi were sitting.

"Are these all the books eldest brother sent?"

Wang Qinxi spread the books om the bed, dividing them into their different topics. "Yes. He sent it just last night, I had wanted to give it to you immediately but I was busy with practice and my lessons."

Humming in acknowledgement, Wang Jieyi raised his hand to pick up one of books his eldest brother had sent. "These are very good. But won't he need them again? The notes here are indeed very precious, eldest brother also highlighted the important parts by underlining them. I need to thank him once he gets back!"

"No need to worry. I specifically asked for the books he won't need anymore and had already memorized." Finished setting and organizing the books, he explained.

"I see then. I'll study them later. For now I'll just put it on my shelves full of other books so it won't be too suspicious and cause any doubt. Of course, I will put it on a very special spot as to not confuse them with other books."

"That's a very good idea. Wang Jieyi, I have to head out to go back to my room and sleep. I haven't rested since morning and I only got free-time tonight. There's many more things for me to do again tomorrow." Wang Qinxi dusted off his pants and prepared to go out.

"Alright then. Be careful and make no noises, remember to not disturb anyone too, okay?"

"I know, I know. You too. Don't sleep so late, there's still time tomorrow." He said, slowly closing the door without making any noise at all.

----

Wang Jieyi yawned, rubbing his eyes. "I shouldn't have read throughout the night. But the books eldest brother sent are very useful, giving me more knowledge about this world I am in."

Stretching out, he stood up, splashed his face with water to wake himself up and took a bath himself. He didn't bother to call the servants to help him get dressed, it made him uncomfortable knowing that someone had seen his body and even helped him to take a bath. From now on, he won't call the servants as he'd rather do things he can by himself. He would just call the servants when he needs them.

Wang Jieyi stepped out of his room and went to the dining room. He found his mother and father eating breakfast with his other siblings excluding his eldest brother who isn't here for he is learning under one of the two Ministers.

"Was I late?''

Father Wang shook his hand. "Just on time. It seems like you didn't get help from the servants for your bath? Why is that?"

"I wanted to try to be independent and do things myself starting from now." He sat on a chair.

"Oh? You want to do things by yourself? You first need to get used to it though so if you need or want any help don't shy away and ask for help, okay?'' Wang Zifan although was proud, he was also worried for his youngest brother.

Wang Qinxi cut his piece of steak. "As third brother said. Don't overexert yourself if you want to do anything out of reach and remember to ask help from us if you need, Xiao-Yi. We're always here for you."

Wang Taishe nodded. She couldn't speak as she was still chewing her food so she could only nod to show her agreement.

Mother Wang smiled, wiping her lips with the napkin. "Listen well to your siblings."

Wang Jieyi couldn't help but feel a little helpless. Clearly it was Wang Taishe who's the youngest of them all but they were the most overprotective of him. How could he make his moves under their eyes? Sigh.... I guess he'll have to figure it out later. He should finish his food first though.

---
Outside.

"What a coincidence! We met yet again, Jieyi." Duan Jiu said. He looked at Wang Jieyi with surprised eyes.

"Indeed. What a coincidence... What are you wandering here for, third young master? This place is the territory of the Wang Family." He was curious. What was the protagonist gong, Duan Jiu, doing here at the territory of the Wang Family when their two territories were separated and it would take atleast 5 hours to come by here using the carriage?

Duan Jiu smiled awkwardly. "Ah, I was just exploring around and had an impulse to visit your Wang Family's territory."

Wang Jieyi raised his eyebrows, still in doubt. "I see... Why don't I be your guide? I'm currently free and had nothing to do so I decided to come out for some fresh air. I was also given a task by father which is to see if there was any differences here in the territory and report it. As I thought there was no problem, I accepted it. Would you like to accompany me?"

"Well, I don't see why not. Thank you for your hospitality then."

"It's nothing. It's our territory after all and have the duty to help our guests." Wang Jieyi just brushed it off.

"Still, thank you." Duan Jiu gave an amiable smile.

~1143~

* *

End of CH3! Okay I admit, I went MIA for 2 months without any explanation whatsoever after posting 4 chapters of this book. But hey- I actually came back and did not drop this at all.

The updates may be irregular and I can go poof for more an a month of so but I won't drop this. Atleast for now-

Do tell me if there are some typos or grammar issues, i'll correct it later.

For apologies I made sure to make it a atleast a thousand plus words. It's pretty hard trying to find ideas especially since i'm not very creative myself. But I hope this chapter was to your liking!

Fun Fact: I wrote this while I was sleepy and almost fell asleep while writing this XD

(And please vote. Wink wonk)