Epilogue 6: Fatuous

( Set between Eumoirous and Nyctophilia, after Risible. )

Things didn't change much with 3's new discovery, but they did change somewhat. By which Mark meant that the alternate did everything in its power to avoid any of the human's socks. He had somewhat expected that reaction, and it was somewhat funny, all things considered.

It was in one of these attempts to avoid his socks, his roommate sidestepping over one currently on the floor that he noticed a small nub on 3's lower back, swishing lightly side to side. Was that...

"... A tail?"

The alternate stopped in its tracks, looking at its friend, somewhat confused.

"Huh?"

"Dude, you got a tail?"

Mark pointed nonchalantly to the nub, brow raised in some curiosity. He hadn't seen one with a tail before, but it wasn't like he had been actively looking. Maybe all of them had tails, and it was the first time he got to look at them.

"Oh? Yeah, it's... Weird, I know."

The alternate shifted so that it was no longer in the human's view, looking somewhat self conscious.

"Why are you hiding it? It's pretty cool, y'know?"

He didn't particularly know what warranted 3's sudden shift in mood, but it started when he mentioned the tail, so he figured that it'd improve if he started to compliment it. Its expression changed into surprise, processing, then it simply smiled.

"... Thanks. Haven't heard that before, honestly. It's... Nice."

Mark chuckled, returning the smile wholeheartedly. A happy roommate was better to be around, and it wouldn't do if the thing the alternate found itself gloomy about was itself.

"No problem, man. And, I do mean it. I don't care if it's a very small tail, it's pretty neat."

"Well, if you say so. Still not picking up your socks again, though."