Epilogue 2: Serendipity

( Set between Eumoirous and Nyctophilia. )

"Dude, don't pick up that sock."

Why were those words said so often by the human? 3 was supposed to be doing the housework as a sort of rent, but Mark was sometimes... Dodgy. As if he were hiding something from the alternate. Now, it didn't really care about this, considering that he had all the right in the world to just not tell it about things, but it did get on its nerves slightly because of how it slowed down the cleaning.

"No. You always say that, but why can't I touch them? What's so wrong with them?"

The human looked almost uncomfortable, as if he'd realized something that 3 hadn't yet. It made it feel a bit unnerved, but it tried to remind itself that this conversation began because of socks. Whatever it was, it couldn't possibly be that serious. It just... Needed to put aside Mark's body language for now and focus on his words instead.

"Just, uh... Question. How much do you alternates know about humans?"

"Well, a lot. You can't eat metal, you're social creatures, you're highly empathetic, at least most of you are, you-"

"Not- What I meant. How much do you know about how they're made?"

Now that did leave it stumped. It was somewhat humorous, the alternate stood in the middle of the doorway, a laundry basket in its grasp, looking utterly out of its depth. Its eyes narrowed in thought, looking down to have less distractions. How they were... Made? Well, they had to have their own Father, but humans didn't look like they'd have come from darkness. Besides, they shifted with the years, something that alternates certainly didn't do. Made perfect from the beginning, not a trait needing to be changed. Well, except if you were defective. Like 3.

Not... the time to think about it.

"Ah... You have a father that makes you...? I don't- Actually know, now that I think about it. How are humans made?"

Mark looked as if he had just swallowed a lemon, letting his head drop into his hands in clear exasperation. He stayed like that for a while before looking back up at his roommate, who looked no less eager for an answer.

"What does making humans even need to do with your socks? Why'd you bring it up?"

'There is no God', Mark thought, 'because if there were, I wouldn't be in this situation right now'. He took in a deep, steadying breath, about to speak. And then, he stood up abruptly, simply deciding to leave the room. He was not giving an alternate the birds and the bees. Not today, and not ever.

"Wait- Mark? Hey, come back! You didn't even answer my question!"

He wished he hadn't asked.