Episode 1.7: Something Must End For Something To Begin

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

• SUNDAY •

SIMILAR TO MICHIRU'S THEORY, the arguments presented by the other members of the club offer up no real solution.

"Ghosts!" Hyota excitedly declares when it's his turn. "It was ghosts that stole the chairs and Hisoki-chan's notebook!"

We're at a dead end, honestly and truly.

Everything is hopeless.

In the nearest corner, Sosaku pitifully pats Hyota's back, who's gone off to sulk, with his shining knees tucked up to his chest. "It sounded better in my head. It did."

"I've spoken with Tsuneo Ishihara and Ayano Kumagai—our suspects in this case," Nagahiro says in an attempt to thwart our attention. "However, both insist to be innocent. According to them, they completed their duties as required, and left for the day. Then, by the next morning, when they returned, all of the desks missing were already missing."

"Which is where the homeroom teacher of Class 1–B blamed Ishihara for the crime, and the rest of his class were forced to stand all day while they were taught," Mayumi summarizes. "They must've been furious."

Nagahiro frowns.

"What's the matter, Mr. Senpai?"

"Any student in that situation would be furious." As Nagahiro paces, the heels of his shoes click against the linoleum. "That is what we convinced ourselves at the start of our investigation. However, that very assumption crumbled as I proceeded to look into this case. As you may expect, on top of interrogating our two suspects, I also had the pleasure of chatting with other students from their class. What I expected to hear were voracious complaints. Instead, it was the opposite."

Each one of us perks.

"The opposite?" Manabu asks. "Whatever do you mean, Nagahiro?"

"It is as it sounds, Leader," Nagahiro answers. "Despite the incident, the students of Class 1–B did not complain. They were not filled with complaints, but rather, compliments. They shined a positive light on Mr. Ishihara."

"Oh, my. How intriguing," Manabu gasps. "Even after this supposed "troublemaker" stole their desks, robbed them of their chairs, and subjected them to eight long hours of standing. . . they spoke highly of him?"

"No matter how you string it, eight hours of standing is a harsh training regimen," Hyota agrees, up on his feet once again. He folds both arms behind his head. "Plus, their teacher was educating them the majority of the time. I'd be extremely annoyed if I was in that class. Enough to condemn this Ishihara guy every chance I got."