Episode 1.3: The Secrets That Bind Us

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

• WEDNESDAY •

"AFTER ALL THAT, you're still avoiding me?"

"O—on second thought, your presence is bad for my heart. It's not me, it's you."

"Yeah right it's me!"

Wednesday morning, Michiru's exasperation erupts like a geyser. I'm left unguarded when he yanks me forward by the forearm, and, regardless of onlookers, hoists me over his shoulder. As if I'm but a mere rucksack, he carries me in my embarrassing position and saunters forward at a leisurely pace.

"We're going to the clubroom," he says. "The president gifted me these ingredients to include in a meal after school, and I need to test it for poison."

So, if I die instead, it'll be a necessary sacrifice? My stomach sinks to my gut. I grapple for freedom. "Please let me go! I-I'll scream."

"Go ahead. Who will hear you?"

He's using my lack of presence against me. Whether I shriek or not, nobody will come to my aid. Not to stand against the bossman.

Tears fog my vision.

I take it back. Michiru Fukuroi isn't scary.

Okay, he is, but more than that he's a jerk!

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

"Here."

I pinch my mouth tight.

His eyelids narrow. Chopsticks in hand, he shoves the meat to the seam of my lips. "Eat."

I puff my cheeks with air.

He groans. Although the white bandanna holding back his hair is uncharacteristic of his personality it unexpectedly suits him.

"You're gonna make this difficult, aren't you?" Despite the fact that it touched my lips, he brings it to his. He chews contentedly. "It's delicious.
As expected of myself."

He scoops up another bite, this time with the addition of the sides from the dish. I gulp, throat inexplicably dry. The mouthwatering scents waft, overcoming my senses.