Destiny's Rose - [7]

CHAPTER 5

For Cole, each day passed the same. The journey was monotonous, endlessly traveling through woods, sometimes by foot but mostly in carriage. Cole never said much; Sam wouldn't talk to him. He sat by each day watching Sam become the Prince he could never be. Sam was so easy with his words. He had a way of being friends with each and every soldier, but still not take too much care. Cole watched with envy as Sam distanced himself with care from everyone at the camp, including Cole himself. 

They had been traveling a week through the forest, occasionally coming upon an inn they would stay at for the night. They had come upon one such inn when Sam, in his usual princely manner, called out, “I am much too tired to take part in your revelry tonight, men. I will retire to my room early, rather than press my gloom over you.”

The soldiers stood there in salute until Sam had left the room, them thinking he was Prince Coleson. It was tiring keeping up an act. Everyday pretending to be something he wasn't. Sometimes, acting as a Prince came easily to Sam. He had the easy charm to cause the soldiers revere him as a leader, but he couldn't act as one. When it came to making decisions, Sam couldn't do it. He couldn't be the charge of so many people. What if something went wrong? Sam could never deal with himself if he caused the pain of so many good men. Once Sam had safely entered his room in the lodge, and was out of the watchful eyes of the guards, he let his regal stature melt away. Sam smoothed down the already made bed sheets and looked for some sort of book around the room. As much as Sam might have liked to appear without care for knowledge, he really loved books. He didn't so much love the way words fit together, but the meaning they held. It seemed like written words could do anything; they could stop wars, start a marriage, heal a friend, or change the course of history. Every time Sam read a book, he felt like a tide was washing over him, cleaning him of impurities. It took him to another world; a world of fantasy or facts, of love or loss, of triumph or trying problems. No matter the text, Sam would lose track of what he was doing, what he was supposed to be doing. Sam saw only one book in the room; it was brown leather with silver lettering down the side. On closer observation, the letters read, “The Royal Family: A Through Study.”[g]Sam picked up the book and upon reading the first chapter learned that Cole's family line had come to power only two centuries ago. Sam was already on the third chapter, in which he learned that each member of the royal family had a special birthmark on their lower right abdomen, when Cole came through the door. Seeing that Sam was utterly wrapped up in another useless book, Cole decided to do something devilish. He crept quietly toward Sam and clapped his hands together directly beside Sam's ear.

Sam's surprise was so sincere he fell off the bed with a dull thud and nearly screamed, “Cole! You know not to surprise me when I'm reading!”

Cole, however, was laughing too hard to answer. Sam sprang up from his spot on the floor and was about to smack Cole on the head when a throat cleared at the door.

Cole stopped laughing immediately and turned to the door.

A soldier, no older than 19, was standing in the threshold, looking severely flustered.

“Yes?” Sam asked imperiously, hoping with all his heart they had not been heard. If they had... Sam couldn't even bring himself to complete his thought. His heart banged so loud he was sure the guard heard it.

“Sir,” the guard started awkwardly, “I was just coming to bring the Prince dinner, but I heard a clap and a yell, so I dropped the plate and ran and...”

“Well, seeing as you have no dinner for me, you might as well leave,” Sam snapped. He was too on edge to be concerned about the soldier's feelings.

“I don't think so,” the soldier said slowly, “I think you two should tell me what's going on.”

“What are you talking about?” Sam stuttered, his voice unconvincing. His face was paling and his stomach turning.