Destiny's Rose - [5]

[As of February 11, 2011, I have made some major editing changes to the past chapters, if you started before February 11, I suggest you reread them. If you started reading this after February 11, just continue reading. If you choose not to reread this, the main change is Sara's middle name changed from Elizabeth to Jane. If your are viewing this from the Mobile App, to get the changes, you'll have to delete this story and search for it again. Sorry for the inconvenience, but thanks for reading.]

John felt a tap on his shoulder and stood up immediately to find Sara in her old worn night gown. Her cheeks and eyes were still red from crying, but she held back the choking sobs that wanted to escape. John's arms pulled around Sara's shoulders and he brought her closer to him, hugging her. She let her sobs fall again, this time muffled by John's nice jacket. She still felt wrong. She felt vile, as though that Wesley might get her again. She pressed herself closer to John's warmth as he murmured soft assurances. John's hands rubbed the back of her night gown. He could feel her ragged breath under his palm and wished for it to return to normal. He couldn't let go of Sara and fight Wesley, even if that was exactly what he wanted to do. John wanted to pummel Wesley, make that scum feel so useless, so tiny that Wesley would never hurt his Sara ever again. But Sara needed John. She was so delicate, so fragile. She couldn't even defend herself against Wesley, but John could have. He should have been there to protect his Sara, his best friend. John would never let it happen again. He wouldn't let someone take Sara away, too.

Sara's small work-worn hand fell on John's chest and felt his heart beat beneath her finger tips. She loved the way it felt, so steady and strong. Like her John. He would always be there. The beat of his heart was calming; it made Sara feel safe. She took in slow breaths, occasionally allowing a sharp intake in the process of trying to regain control. Every time Sara let a ragged breath, John held her a little closer, his warm hand on her back reassuring her he would never leave her.

John could feel Sara calming herself, making herself put on a front of being strong and self-assured. He hated it. He knew she was strong, but she had to let him in. She needed someone to share her load. She always had walls up, guarding her from the rest of the world. No one even noticed. They only saw the Sara that pleased them. She shouldn't have to do that; he could do that for her.

“Don't worry, Sara Jane, I won't let anything hurt you ever again,” John said softly, hoping she might not pretend to be so strong. Sara's shoulders relaxed just a bit, only noticeable to those who knew her better than anyone.

“Thank you,” Sara whispered, not for the promise of safety, but for being there. He hadn't left her throughout what felt like hours of crying. Sara pulled out of John's warm embrace and lied down on her bed. She closed her eyes, but felt John lie next to her, his arm so close she could feel the warmth radiating off of it. She smiled at the reassuring feeling of her John next to her, protecting her.

“I wish-” John said in a strangled voice, but stopped before he could finish his sentence.

“I just-” he started again.

Sara peered at him curiously. His jaw was locked and he looked as though he was trying to contain something.

“What is it, John?” Sara asked quietly.

“That Wesley, he just- he makes me so angry. How could he do that to you? It's not right. I should go down and teach that mud-slinger a lesson,” Sara could hear the promise in John's voice. He would go right now if she didn't stop him. John felt Sara take his clenched fist and smooth it between her two small hands, making him relax.

“Don't do that,” Sara told him in her soft voice, “he's not worth it.”

John knew he couldn't go kill Wesley, no matter how much he wanted to. He had Sara beside him and that was all that mattered.