Chapter 13

Jen and I sit in the far back again, neither of us talking. Every now and then Nico would sneak a glance at Jen and smile. Grace decided to run back to the pack by herself which didn't seem very safe but she assured me she could take care of herself.

The sun had fully risen by now bringing its hot temperature with it. "Hey Dane!" I shout up to him. His eyes meet mine in the rear view mirror. "Could you turn the AC on? It's kind of hot in here." He nods and hits on one of the buttons. Cool air hits me right in the face and I sigh in relief, feeling the strange burning in my skin cool down a little.

"Wake up everyone!" Parker suddenly says loudly even though none of us were asleep. "We're here." I swipe a hand over my clammy forehead and look out the window. Trees, trees, trees, and then an entire village of houses and people.

"This place is amazing." Jen breathes, leaning across me to look out the window. I smile and nod. When Dane parks the car in front of the familiar castle he called home Jen nearly screams. "You live in a fucking castle!"

"So do you for now." I tell her I unbuckle and crawl over the seat to get out.

"Oh yeah." She laughs. Dane helps both of us out and wraps an arm around my waist. Heat floods my body but I ignore it. As we walk into the building Jen eyes Dane and me and winks at me. I roll my eyes and smile.

"He's so cute." She mouths.

"I know." I mouth back. She giggles which catches Dane attention and he looks at both of us questionably but neither of us say anything.

"Dane!" Stella's familiar voice shouts as she rushes towards us and hugs both of us tightly. When she pulls away she looks at Jen and beams. "Another female! I'm Stella!" She says, then "Father will be very pleased."

"What?" Jen questions. I just shake my head.

"Oh! Mother wanted me to tell you that her and father want to speak with Dane in fathers office." Stella tells Dane. Dane groans but lets go of my hand and cups my cheek.

"I'll be back soon. Show Jen to her room with Stella." With a kiss on my forehead he hurries away. Nico clears his throat.

"Me and Parker are going to head to our homes. Call me if you need anything." He eyes Jen like he really wants her to say something but she doesn't so he leaves.

"Okay let's get this show on the road." Stella jumps up and down excitedly.

Jen and I follow her up the long stairs down a few halls until she stops in front of a door identical to the other. "This is your room Jen. Please let me know if there's anything you'd like to change."

"Thanks." Jen beams as she opens the door. Inside a large, tall, dusty pink bed sits a conjoined walk-in closet and bathroom on the same wall and a balcony across from the bed. "It's perfect." Jen whispers in awe.

"I'm glad you like it." Stella laughs.

"Like it!" Jen yells. "I love it!" Both girls giggle.

"Why don't we go get something to eat?" I suggest.

"Actually I really just want to take a real shower." Jen says. "Is it okay if I just stay here?"

"Of course." I answer. "Just call if you need anything." She nods and closes the door.

"Guess it's just you and me." I tell Stella.

"I'm fine with that."

We end up in the kitchen, two huge bowls of ice cream in front of us, talking about pack culture. "So you telling me that once Dane becomes leader I'll be second to him?" I ask in shock.

"Pretty much." Stella answers.

"That seems a little sexist don't you think?" I wipe my heated cheek with the back of my hand.

"I guess." She shrugs.

"Why is it still so hot in here? We turned the AC on high!" I exclaim.

"I'm actually kind of cold." Stella comments, looking at me closely. "Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah." I answer. "I feel fine."

"Okay."

We go on with our conversation, laughing and gossiping about other packs. Just as we're both about to head our separate ways I get a sharp pain in my stomach. I grab the counter for support and clutch my stomach. "Remi?" I heard Stella ask. "Remi, what's wrong?"

"M-my stomach." I pant, my entire body feeling like it was on fire.

"Oh goddess." Stella whispers. "Remi, I think you're in heat."

Dane-

"All I'm saying is that bringing Jen here probably wasn't the best idea." My father tells my mother. "And certainly not turning her."

"She was dying, Michael. Right in front of Remi. I wasn't going to just let my daughter-in-law watch her best friend die." Mother snaps back.

"So let her die!" Father yells.

"Father!" I yell back.

"Don't get into this Dane." He warns.

"I will when you say something like that." I snap. "Remi is my mate. We marked each other, it's complete, so when she feels pain, or longing, or fear, I feel it too, and it kills me." I stand up. "She deserves more than I could ever give her, but she still stays, and for the most part accepts what you did to her."

"Dane..." Remi's familiar voice pants in my head. It took me a moment to realize it was her because we've never done the mind link before, and another moment to realize my wolf was going crazy in my head wanting his mate.

"Shit." I curse quietly but my parents still hear me

"Dane." Mother criticizes. I look at my father, who knows what I'm going through with my wolf.

"Oh." He says.

"What is it?" Mother asks.

"Remi-" I cut off with a loud growl.

"Remi is in heat." Father finishes. My wolf howls in my head, begging me to run after our mate.

"Well what are you waiting for?" Mother asks. "Heat is a very painful thing, Dane. Go help her." I tense my muscles.

"I- I don't want to hurt her." I whisper.

"That's the least of her worries right now." Dad tells me. "She's already in so much pain she probably won't even feel it."

"Go to your mate, son. Deal with the worries later." Mother whispers.