Chapter 5 Destined to be Apart

"Here we are," I say as we approach the Walmart nearby.

"Yes, here we are," Taylor sighs. He seems so sleepless and even though we had a wonderful night last night, I just feel like I'm dragging him around to my bidding.

"You don't have to come in if you don't want to," I tell him.

He shakes his head and I mentally sigh a sigh of relief. I really hated going somewhere by myself. Especially a place like Walmart. You never know who you're going to meet in there.

"Well, here we go," I say and push the duffel bag's shoulder strap higher up my shoulder.

We step into the Walmart and grab a buggy closest to us. I haul my duffel bag into the buggy and sigh with relief as the weight of the bag comes off of my shoulder.

"Where to first?" Taylor asks, turning his head from side to side rapidly as if he has never been in a Walmart before. Then again, he is rich. He probably hasn't.

"Follow me!" I say and skip off towards the bread aisle, towing Taylor behind me.

"Coming, coming!" he calls up to me as I move rapidly faster. I feel free and happy for some reason. I wonder if I took drugs or something and didn't realize it. Nah, it was just a happy day for some odd reason. Even if we were stuck in the middle of a forest...and homeless...and you have to admit it, no place to go.

But, let's not think about the bad, lets think about good!

"Are you okay?" Taylor looks at me concerned once I stop running and stare at all the kinds of bread, trying to figure out if I will like the really cheap kind.

"What do you mean?" I put my hands on my hips defensively. "Is it wrong for me to be so happy?"

He sighs and shakes his head like what-am-I-going-to-do-with-you look on his face.

"Gosh no. You've just seemed so depressed lately and all the sudden your happy. It's acutally kind of creeping me out. Do you have mood swings?"

"NO!" I yell out and a few people stare then shrug. I bet they've seen worse than me before.

"Okay, okay. Calm down," Taylor raises his hands up. "Just checking. What is it you're so happy about anyway. I mean, you did seem really depre," I stop him in mid-sentence.

"Shut it. I can be happy whenever I want and have no reason for it," I jut out my lip and even I realize I sound very prissy and like a snob. Great, not the impression I want to make. "Let me start over," I stake a deep relaxing breath and continue in the way I meant to sound.

"You see, I just feel that I need to let my energy out and continue on like nothing ever happened. Not the knowledge part, but the feelings part. I mean, we did already decide I wasn't going to get upset over what my parents had said earlier," I couldn't bring myself to say adopted. "And anyway, I'm just happy that I can be with you right now and not worry about anything much."

I smile up at him, satisfied with my little speech. I end up frowning instead from the face Taylor made at me.

"What did I say?" I ask, starting to get gaurded now. It's then that I realize he wasn't making the face at me, but at a woman behind us.

I glance behind me and see a large, swelling mass rolling down the row toward us. The woman had long, stringy hair and a tank top on. Seriously, yes, a tank top. In the middle of winter no less!

"Stop it," I mutter at Taylor and slap his arm to get his attention.

"Sorry," he glares at me but then sees his mistake and turns around to go in the opposite direction of the lady.