Chapter One.

Rebel's Point of View. 

          Welcome to Mountain Springs!

         Glancing over the rotten sign, my hand skimmed over the splintering wood. I walked into a rural town with the stores lined up on both sides of the streets to search for a place to eat. Spotting a coffee shop that looked to be fairly empty, I crossed the street and entered, my stomach vibrating with low groans of famine. The familiar smell of coffee and baked goods made my mouth water with anticipation. Slowly making my way to the counter, I glanced over the menu, holding the crumbled five dollar bill with shaking hands.

          “Can I help you,” the barista asked, paying me little mind while eying her nails.

          “A hot chocolate and a muffin,” I said briskly.

          She run up the price, reading off the amount. I handed her the money and when I got my order, I found a seat in the back of the building. Feeling returned to my frozen fingers as I wrapped them around the warm mug. Unconsciously, I ate slowly, trying to savor the taste of the fluffy muffin and rich hot chocolate. When I finished, I threw away the trash and asked for a to-go cup for the hot liquid. I walked out into the chilly air. The wind blew hair into my face and mouth and I spat out the strands, tucking them behind my ear. I wrapped the worn jacket around me tighter, making my way down the sidewalk. I took a sip from the cheap cup, the hot chocolate warming my insides.

         With a rhythmic stride, a park passed me on the left. A laughing couple sat on the bench, embracing each others presence. My eyes rolled. Hearing mad, arguing voices, I peered over my shoulder while continuing down the pavement. I turned around, my shoulder accidentally ramming into a person's side as they passed me. Not bothering to look back, I mumbled, “Sorry.”

          Only a moment passed when someone gently grabbed my upper arm. Instantly recoiling back and instinct possessing my actions, I threw the cup of hot chocolate towards the person. The scandalizing liquid splashed over the person's shirt, untimely burning their skin. They cursed loudly, and glancing his tanned, handsome face, I sprinted down the sidewalk.

          “Get her!” the person commanded through a pain-stricken voice.

          Pushing past the slow walkers and weaving through cars that drove down the road, my heart berated against my ribcage. They found me. I didn't know how they did but it was over. They would take me back and I would have to live my life the way I feared. Ignoring the angry honks that were directed towards me, I turned sharply down an alleyway located between two buildings. Nearing the opening, an arm snaked around my waist and lifted me from the ground. My stomach heaved with fear, my nails digging into the person's skin and my legs landing a swift kick to their shin. They cursed, dropping me.

          Running from the alley and wondering if anyone would stop to help me, I sprinted to the edge of the forest. I could lose them through the crowded trees—hopefully. Scanning the ground for roots that clawed through the dirt and low hanging branches, I weaved through the woods. Looking behind me, only trees met my view and I breathed a heavy sigh of relief. A breathless laugh escaped me due to happiness, my running lessened as I turned forward again only to see the ground taking a sharp dive into a steep hill. Trying to skid to a stop, my feet were the first the leave the soft ground. And my body followed suit, landing painfully on my side.

          Rolling down the hill, my bookbag was torn from my back due to it getting caught on a root. Upon reaching the bottom of the hill, my body ached and the fresh cuts stung with a sharp pain. The back of my head hit the base of a tree, my vision striking white then returned blurry. Without my consent, my limbs became relaxed. Before the darkness that surrounded the edges of my eyes, three fuzzy figured jumped easily down the hill. One of them caressed my cheek and bile worked in my throat. The last sight that was imprinted in my mind was warm, gentle brown eyes.