Prologue

13 years ago...

"Run... hide... flee..." is all that circled through her distraught mind, her adrenaline rushing through her veins, her heart thundering and her lungs taking in ragged breaths as she bolted from her demise, her cloud of breath whisked away from sight as she ran.

If anything, it'd be a miracle if FrostHunter's death was some twisted dream, she could still hear his agonizing screams...

She weaved her way through the snow-covered pines, her feet kicking up snow long-since left alone, her eyes picking out any and every detail they could. Her ears picked up the sound of an otherworldly, blood-chilling roar, and that caused her to whimper quietly.

"I won't let you take her from me!" BitterWynd hissed as she continued her escape, her legs ached but she refused to let up. Upon her back was a terrified young HallowFrost Dragon, her daughter clung to her tightly, silent with fear.

Suddenly, she burst out into a cold, moonlit snowfield, the two moons afire with their silver light, her pale-blue scales glittered and her purple eyes glanced about. It would've been a beautiful sight to behold, with the star-speckled skies and glowing moons, if not for the wretched, terrible beings chasing her. BitterWynd streaked across the snowfield, the roar she heard earlier only became louder...

WHAM!

A cry of alarm issued from BitterWynd as she was taken down, pinned down in the snow on her back by a towering, pitch-black, warping figure. Her daughter had been flung away by the sudden impact, scurrying to her feet as she bared her teeth at the being, whose unblinking white eyes stared her down.

"You're his Descendant..." it hissed to her, BitterWynd watched as CryoFangs growled back at it, looking like she'd attack it at any moment. "Any Descendants of his are a threat to us! Now–"

Abruptly, the figure suddenly seemed to forget Bitter was there as it threw itself at CryoFangs.

"DIE!

"CRYOFANGS!!" She shrieked, the young dragoness rolled out of harm's way, just barely managing to rush to her feet and take to the air, zipping towards her mother. BitterWynd got up, but only managed to take a single step before the being cannoned into her, knocking the wind from her lungs as she was suddenly looking up into its horrifying eyes.

More footsteps signaled the appearance of even more of these nasty things.

"You... you're not going anywhere!" It growled in her ear, tearing its claws through her wing membranes ruthlessly, she screamed in pain. BitterWynd saw as CryoFangs was grabbed by the neck by black talons. The second being raised its elongated claws, which glittered in the moonlight, poised to attack...

"No... no... she can't die– I WON'T LET YOU TAKE HER FROM ME!?"

BitterWynd's body was suddenly aglow with the raw power of the Heavens, her scales taking on an unnatural iridescent sheen and her eyes flickered white. The power flooding her body was almost unbearable, her heart was beginning to fail her as it erratically palpitated. Even if she died trying, her daughter would be safe.

The heinous beings cried in pain as they were destroyed by the holy light, the one who held CryoFangs suddenly dropped her, its body disappearing in a puff of black smoke, bits of black matter floating on the breeze...

And yet, the one who had pinned BitterWynd hadn't been destroyed, but simply it hissed with pain as the light faded, its head whipped to their left, towards the barely-adolescent dragoness whose eyes pierced her mother.

"You're so lucky to have a mother like her... too bad she has to suffer at my talons..." it growled nastily, its voice suddenly gravelly and masculine. 

And, whilst keeping eye contact with a fearful CryoFangs, he raked his talons down BitterWynd's body, his brute strength bruised her scales and fractured her ribs. Her scream of crazed agony was suddenly cut short as her throat was slit, her glittering dark purple blood gurgled up from the depths of her throat, spurting from her wounds.

Blood then pooled around her still, broken body, the wicked being shook his talons to rid of BitterWynd's blood, and, with a small smile, he hissed: "I'll see you when the time is right, little CryoFangs..."

She had no idea how long she stood there, frozen to the spot as she gazed blankly at her mother's corpse, her little body and tail spikes shook horribly.

She numbly, mindlessly, took shaky steps towards her mother's body, gazing at her wounds and the purple blood which stained the glittering snow.

"M-momma...?" She sniffed, gazing into the dead purple depths of her mother's eyes, her poor heart wished for a response that would never come...

CryoFangs dropped to her knees, tears welling in her eyes as she pressed a kiss to her mother's now cold snout. She then broke down in debilitating sorrow, not caring that her scales were now covered in BitterWynd's lifeblood as she hugged her, her body quaked.

Her wails echoed across the snowfield, reaching the ears of anyone unfortunate enough to hear her grief. Little did she know, that someone had tiptoed up next to her, his embrace ignored by his grieving master.