05

Thankfully for Kira, her mother was going to be dropping Tao off at Charlie's before going out for dinner with a few friends, meaning that she'd have the house all to herself. She Face-timed Imogen, and it rang for a second before she was greeted by Imogen getting ready, "Hi!"

"Hey," Kira said, trying to decide an outfit to wear for tonight. "My mum's not gonna be home tonight, so you can come over and I can cook something."

"Ooo, candlelight dinner?" Imogen drawled teasingly on the other end, and before Kira could even think about stifling her smile, she caught her reflection in the mirror she had fastened onto her cabinet door. She was already smiling. 

Kira covered her mouth, then putting her hand on her hip, "Mhm. And the TV's got all sorts of programs. There's ice cream in the freezer." She shrugged. "I'll dig around for some candles."

"Kira! We're leaving!" Her mother called out from downstairs. 

"One sec, Im." Kira left her phone on her bed, shutting the door behind her as she walked downstairs, where her mother and Tao were waiting for her. "Bye, Mum." Tao gaped at her. She sighed, patting his shoulder. "Bye, Tao. Have fun at the sleepover."

"No boys, Kira!" Her mother reprimanded as she and Tao walked outside into the approaching dusk. "Keep the doors locked--"

"Stranger danger and the like, yep, got it, Ma!" Kira watched them walk towards the car and get in and as she watched them drive off, she shut the front door, locking it and walking back upstairs to her bedroom. "I'm back."

"You're back?" Imogen's voice called out on her phone and Kira picked it up, being greeted by Imogen's pretty face. "I was starting to miss you."

"Quit being sappy," Kira playfully rolled her eyes and scolded. "Call me when you're nearby, alright? I'll get dressed and start cooking."

"Alright, see you!" Imogen leaned towards the phone. "Mwah!"

"Sanitize your phone too," Kira jokingly said, and Imogen rolled her eyes.

"Bye!"

"Bye, drive safe," Kira said before hanging up. She connected her phone to her speaker and put on some music. After that, she faced her cabinet, putting her hands on her hips as she inspected her clothes. "I literally have no good outfits."

To say Imogen was excited would an understatement.

She was practically bursting with joy and excitement as she bid her dad, who was dropping her off goodbye. He had driven off, not waiting for his daughter to reach the front door of the Xu household, instead speeding off down the street and veering left. If Imogen wasn't certain that Kira wasn't a serial killer, she would have definitely given her dad a piece of her mind for leaving before confirming his daughter's safety. Oh well.