chapter seventeen

The sixty seconds go by too fast, and the countdown is at ten too quickly

Ten...

Johanna pulls me closer.

Nine...

"She'll get out, El," Johanna assures me, speaking in a soft tone.

Eight...

My ears start to ring.

Seven...

Too much noise.

Six...

Rowan makes eye contact with Ripleigh, discreetly nudging her head in the general direction of the forest.

Five...

Ripleigh's eyes flicker with understanding.

Four...

Ripleigh nods.

Three...

My heart beats faster than I thought possible.

Two...

I see a glance of Rowan. Fiery determination is in her eyes.

One.

The gong rings out.

Rowan grabs for a neon blue backpack, a sheet of black tarp and a small metal tin, likely containing food.

The District Five boy throws a punch at Rowan's jaw, and I force myself to contain a gasp.

My sister is momentarily stunned and falls on the sandy terrain, inching back from the boy. Rowan's jaw begins to bruise, causing it to become a sickly purple colour.

Just before the boy goes to throw another punch, Ripleigh appears stealthily behind him, tightly and skillfully wrapping a length of rope around his neck. The boy gasps for air, pawing desperately at the rope.

Ripleigh ties off the rope, letting the boy fall to the ground. He still struggles, squirming and kicking.

Ripleigh helps Rowan up, only glancing at the boy for a quick moment with a blank expression. I suppose you can never really take the Career attitude out of the District Four girl.

Sayge joins them a moment later with a sickle in hand. There's a shallow yet long cut on her cheek, the red of her blood vibrant against her dark skin. Her hands and wrists are covered in fresh, wet blood.

Together, they disappear into the forest, and they're gone. My sister survived the bloodbath.

-

They show the bodies once the Careers have dispersed, making camp further along the beach, where Rusher catches seafood for the group and they drink the ocean water.

The bodies are shown from the first dead to the last dead. There are eleven in total, and eleven cannons sound consecutively in the arena.

Boom. The first tribute is the female tribute from District Twelve, Nicolene, who wanted to ally with Jude.