Chapter 6: The Function of the Lost Hero

One day ago

I woke up from a good night sleep. Yesterday, we took these blankets so we can always move house to house without losing anything. We also gathered some food for rations and books to lessen our boredom. We can take slow steps into finding the Monitor.

I looked around and found out that Drix left alone. He must be searching for clues about the location of the Monitor. He is a good companion, and an obedient one at that.

"Good morning, Zack." Eoa greeted.

"Yo, Eoa." I replied.

It was time for some training. Since the Reaper is a sword, I might practice swinging something a few times, and practice magic as well. Before I start learning, I must ask Eoa for the basics first. I walked inside the house, got the brewer and made some coffee. I took a few sips and put it down on a table. The dust were slowly returning back, but we don't have to clean anyway.

"Eoa, how is magic casted?" I asked.

"Go to the open field," she requested. "It's better to learn from experience."

I chose a wide and secluded behind the abandoned house. Bits of rocks and rubbles were everywhere, but this can do.

"Magic can be casted in two ways: by chants and by essence." Eoa explained. "Function magic are usually casted without words by experiencing the mana flow within your body. The new breeds of magic-users use chants because it is easier to manage. Functioners add chants to their magic to increase its power."

"So, how should I start then?" I asked.

"Keep your hands open," she said. "Imagine a fire burning in your mind, and feel your mana flowing from your body to your hands."

I closed my eyes and did as Eoa told me to. I imagined a fire, burning aggressively. A weird feeling stroked my body, as if a hot water travels through my veins. I opened my eyes and a fire was burning on my hands.

"See? Experience is the best teacher," she said. "As a Functioner, you are able to control all essences: Fire, Water, Wind and Earth."

Damn, this is like an anime!

"What makes you special is your own Void essence. Your Function helps you identify what your Void magic is." Eoa said. "Drixill can use the essence of Wind and Earth. He is a special case, however, his power allows him to copy a Functioner's Void essence. The reason is still unknown."

I experimented and discovered new ways to attack using combinations of those four essences. But there was something I would like to try.

"Zack!" Eoa hurriedly called.

"What is it, Eoa?" I asked.

"Drix is in danger!" she said. "He's being chased by two powerful magic users!"

Where is he? Where could he have gone to? Oh right, the communication pieces!

I went and grabbed the pair of earphones and put it inside my ears. I placed the microphone and chipped it beside my mouth before speaking, "Drix? Drix!", but no one was replying.

"Boosting communication signals. There! Try again!" Eoa exclaimed.

"Drix? Drix! Can you hear me? Drix? Drix!" I shouted.

"Kind of busy here, Zack!" Drix replied on the earphones.

Eoa was still tracking his location. I asked her if she can show me the way. I ran as fast as I can, hopping to buildings until we went close to Drix. She predicted the course of their pursuit, and we were to save Drix as soon as they went right for our ambush.