Chapter 2: The Imitator

"Fifty meters to the east, two vital signs confirmed. Auditory signals indicate the two are fighting against each other," Eoa reported.

"Thanks, Eoa. Should we interfere then?"

"Negative. Let us see the result of the battle at a safe distance." she added.

A few hours ago, I woke up at the main city of Ballad. Eoa explained to me everything that happened five years ago. Turns out, she can only use her full intelligence while I am conscious. I told her about that mysterious book, and that seemed to awaken her.

She detected the arrival of the Function. She was trying to inform me how large the explosion will be. The bond was still weak when she was newly attached, and communication was established due to a near-death experience. She was forced to initiate my magic phrase, Pintafura Excomagicka, meaning "Paint the fire with magic". As to what my powers are, we still don't know. It comes naturally, she said, and at the feel of a first activation, I will be able to adjust my body and start from there.

She also explained who was the attacker last time. It was Stereo, a Functioner established in music. His physical strength is his forte, chanting Drowimusico Envanis, "Drown in music and vanish". Reciting phrases lets Eoa indicate who that Functioner is, but their powers and abilities are locked within the database of the Function.

Now, she instructed me to search for the Monitor, a device capable of features for long-range location searches and satellite access. As she was explaining, a loud bang sounded from a distance. She now requested to pursue suspicious lifeforms, potentially fighting against one another. We are still in the City of Ballad, only difference is that it looks post-apocalyptic now. Only a few trees remain standing, a few houses have their roof intact, and also few machineries working properly.

"There's a house over there, still got its cover on the second floor. Shall we keep surveillance in that location?" I suggested to Eoa.

"Good eyes, Zack. Proceed." she replied in a proud voice.

One of Eoa's abilities is that she is able to modify my body and fit certain upgrades. I whispered, "Eoa, light steps please."

A white glow surrounded both of my feet, turning my shoes to a lighter color. My steps are indeed light on their movements. I can almost compare it into stepping on foam.

Walking stealthily in a slow pace, I finally reached the second floor of an abandoned house. I can clearly see what's happening nearby.

KLANG! Blades clashed resounding over the place; one person holding a normal sharp sword while the other two daggers held by each hand. They seem to be having an exchange of words.

"Eoa, enhance auditory senses." I softly implied.

"Roger that."

With a greater sense of hearing, I was able to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"...and you can't stop us." the man holding the dagger said, to which the swordsman replied, "Wanna see me try?"

The swordsman charged quickly at the dagger-user, throwing his opponent off-balance, falling down against his feet. Piercing the sword at the face of the lying enemy, the dagger-user dodged, regaining balance and took the opportunity to slash the swordsman. Both were able to evade the exchanges of attacks. They rapidly catch their breath.

A scent of burnt wood lingered with the atmosphere getting more and more tense. The two stared at each other for long. It was until the swordsman raised his left hand and pointed it at the sky. A gigantic sword came out from the clouds, falling down with a force enough to shake the ground and push everything with a strong gust of wind. His opponent luckily dodged.