Alice and The Aliens 1

*************

"So, what are aliens like, Alice? Met anyone with three eyes yet?" Jennifer asked, covered head to toe in red jumpers, blue pants and all other Christmas dresses. 

"Girl," Alice said, "its weirder than that!"

"Really?" Mary asked. Mary, Jennifer and Alice were school besties. Alice is an orphan, who lived in boarding school during her school years, then to military campus and then in space. Jennifer, Mary and Alice bought an apartment a year ago (largely on Alices' money, who earned the highest salary with her job in space).

The house was a small one, currently decorated with bells, socks, banners and all other media-like decorations done by the Christmas crazy Jennifer. 

"Yeah! Do you know the species that is considered, like, the wisest is a just a blob of jello? Just a blob!" 

"Woah, really?" Mary asked, "So, what are aliens like, then?" 

"Nothing like the blue skinned, three eyes people we thought! They're all so different." 

"What does it mean?" Jennifer asked, "Do they, like, walk on their hands?"

"Pretty sure if I search up, I'll find some species who do." Alice replied. 

"Do they have powers? Super hearing? Bullet proof skin? See through eyes?" Mary, a superman fanatic asked.

Alice rolled her eyes, "Didn't I just tell you they are not like any media we have ever made? As a matter of fact, humans are one of the most resilient species out there." 

Jennifer laughed unbelievingly, "Ha! You think I'm stupid, Alice?"

"No seriously." Alice sat up, with a shine in her eyes that she got when talking about something she loved, "The other day I was talking to Dasssix, he's the rehabilitation head and he told me that they may have made a mistake in recording because human temperature range is from  6347-G to 63498-G. That's approximately from -20 something to 50 Celsius." 

Jennifer shrugged, " I mean, we might need sweaters, but yeah. How much is it for aliens?"

"Their range is about 10 degree. Like, 20 to 30 Celsius, you know?" Alice said matter of factly.

Mary rolled her eyes, "I call bullshit! They can't survive in that little range. They would die if seasons change. Unless they is some technology to change temperatures." 

"They do have tech, but if that was to, say, break, they would die. Wanna see?" She flicked her wrist, where a bluish-black band ranging from her wrist to halfway to her elbows stayed. The device took nervous transmissions from her brain and did stuff she wanted before she even had to say anything.

A homogamic table appeared in thin air emerging from her wrist which showed the temperature range of different aliens. 

"Holy duck! That's so cool!" Mary said, looking at her wrist, not even bothering with the data. 

Jennifer, however was looking at the hologram, "This shows that data for three billion million planets. Does everyone have access to it?" 

Alice shook her head, "Not everyone. But as Head of rescue and evacuation, I need data on everything. I'm one of the only few people who have data on everything recorded."

"Head of department? Is it, like, a big thing?" Mary asked.

Alice shrugged, "Really big. Not being sarcastic here."

Jennifer said, "Alice, you are a badass. If you said you are the best SpaceCop in the whole world, I would be not surprised. But getting promoted to head of department in a few years is...not realist." 

Alice nodded, sadly, "Look, all the other life bearing planets are these mild, Mediterranean climates with no seasons, no tectonic plates, and no intense weather. So, the aliens are all soft. So for a job that requires going to planets with different temperatures, different characteristics, humans are the best bet."

Mary noticed Alice's change in mood, "What's happened? You okay?"

Alice deep breathed, "I didn't want to tell you this but I... I need to get it off my chest. Every mission has certain points. Once someone gets fifty points, they are allowed to retire to a no-action, simple job in the corner. I got fifty points in my first mission when I was stranded in that planet with wolves. But..." her chin wobbled, "I refused to take a seat back. The higher the points, more dangerous the mission. I took up all the dangerous ones. The ones with high death rates. Comparatively higher for aliens, but still high for humans too."

Jennifer almost shouted, "Why would you do that?"

"I..." Alice said, "Look, I don't have a family. I don't have any significant other. If I die, no one will be losing their daughter or their girlfriend. If an alien dies, chances are, their family will lose them."

"We are family!" Mary exclaimed.

"You are, Mary, Jennifer. But you guys have each other. You guys have your family. I...hold on, I'm getting a call." She touched the inside of both her nostrils, activating the phone-like thing she had been given when she had joined, "Human-Alice, head of department of rescue operations and evacuations." into the phone, but it looked like she was talking to thin air.

"Human-Alice, this is Rherian-Joiune, officer in ship 4378TS. We have found located an unregistered ship near our ship with a Nefron on it." Their voice sounded extremely panicked. She recalled Rherians biologically could not keep calm in panic.

"Nefron?" Alice mumbled. Two years of intergalactic service and she still had no idea about half the things. She flicked her wrist and opened data about Nefrons. 

Nefron, first developed on the planet Phion, is a device that scatters waves up to 20k wavelength, hence effectively disarming most weapons and machinery in it's radius. The conditions for building of Nefrons are highly degrading and can destroy a planet. 

Alice furrowed her eyes. This was a serious issue. Mostly all mainstream alien tech works on electromagnetic waves and a device that can scatter 20k wavelength can render almost all devices useless. Basically, a pirate could enter a ship and steal everything and they would be able to do nothing. 

"Joiune, don't worry, I'm sending a message to nearby stationed ships for backup." She flicked her wrist and messaged the nearby five ships in the galaxy. She then checked the database for how many registered Nefrons there are and where they were. 

Her eyes scanned what looked like thin air to Mary and Jennifer, but were actually lots of simultaneous holograms. There are a total of only three registered Nefrons. Two were securely put in storage facilities. The other one was near Joiune's ship. 

"Mary, Jennifer, I gotta go. Emergency." 

"What are the chances you die?" Mary asked. 

Alice smiled, "Don't worry. Your friend ain't dying anytime soon."