6

"Claudia? What the... What is she doing here?" Austin whispered back.

"I dunno, Austin. She already saw me," I panicked, running my hand through my hair.

"Okay. Let's go," he said, as we jogged towards her.

Our speed lessened as we were going closer to Claudia. We faked a smile while Claudia delivered a real smile.

"Hello, ma'am," Austin greeted her, with his head bowing.

"Hello, Austin. How is your exploration going?" Claudia asked, looking at me.

With an oh-so-realistic smile, I said, "Claudius is a beautiful land. Just like its ruler."

Don't get me wrong. That was just to butter her.

She melted at my sentence and said, "That's so sweet of you!" Then she sighed sharply and said, "Anyways. I've something to tell you both."

"What is it, ma'am?" Austin asked.

"Well, you both join me at the amphitheater. I've something to share there," Claudia said, while we looked at each other, shocked.

"What? Well... Why now?" I asked, my eyes went wide out of shock.

"That's a surprise for you, Damien," Claudia said, winking. Screw that surprise!

"Are you sure that we must come?" I asked.

The sweet side of Claudia vanished and then came the rugged and evil side.

"Just do as I say," she said in a threatening tone.

I couldn't help but nod a yes. I didn't know what pleasure does she finds in dropping nuclear bombs every day.

"That's good," she whispered evilly. "Austin, you too must join us. Claudius is nothing without you citizens."

"Why me, ma'am?" Austin asked diligently.

"What is this, Austin? You are coming. No matter what," she said firmly.

Wait, what! She sounds evil to me but is very gentle towards him? That's called partiality.

"Ummm, sure, ma'am. Your wish is my command," he obliged finally.

"Hmmm! Shall we go, both of you?" Claudia asked us.

"Well, sure," I said, faking my obedience.

"Okay..." She said and snapped her fingers, while we saw a caramel brown-and-dark brown pony appear from thin air. She got on the pony and said, "Get on, Damien," while Austin nudged his elbow at me, gesturing me to go with her. I looked at both of them, and finally got on the pony.

"Shall we go?" Claudia asked me, while I hummed a yes. "Austin. Don't forget to come there. Join us this evening at six-thirty."

"Yes, ma'am," he said, nodding obediently.

She then started riding the pony, while my gaze was still fixed to him, who looked at us helplessly.

***

Claudia took me to the Amphitheater of Claudius, where the citizens of Claudius were seated. I could see the curious mass gossiping about an anonymous guy accompanying their queen, which is me. But I was more curious than them. My eyes scanned through the group, but I couldn't find Austin. Where did he go?

I was wearing a white shirt, a black coat, black pants, and a black tie, while Claudia sported a strapless black-and-white thigh slit dress. Is black the official color of Claudius?

Claudia led me to the centre stage, which was lit by the vibrant lime lights. We stood there, facing the people, while they became mum, seeing us.

A young guy, not Austin, came towards us and a microphone to Claudia. Wow! Microphones and lime lights... Claudius seems to be modern as well.

Claudia took over the mic and started to speak. "Welcome, Claudius. How are you all?"

I heard the people scream a loud yes. Whoa! Claudia seems to be an ideal leader.

"That's good. Now, guess why I am here today?" She asked, looking at me, while I lightly nodded a no. Pulling me near her, she said, "Meet the new citizen of Claudius, Damien. Hereafter, he's also one of us, and also a part of my personal life." She paused, while we heard cryptic whispers.

Then without any ado, she spoke again. "Yes. We are going to marry around this month. And it's confirmed. As a confirmation, we decided to get officially engaged now, in front of my people."

I looked at her shocked, my heart feeling low and sad. And, there shouldn't be a 'we' as I was forced to live here. This would cause a delusion in me among this curious group of people.

My thoughts broke as Claudia proceeded speaking. "Now, I would declare my engagement with my dearest Damien, by exchanging rings," she said and faced me, whispering, "Damien. Now, to get engaged, we'll be exchanging our Rings," referring to my Ring of Claudius. "Remove yours first."

Though I stood there frozen, I nodded a yes and removed the ring, all set to wear it on her finger. As I was removing it, I had a thought of dropping down the ring and running, but resisted it.

She removed her ring and slid it into my ring and vice versa, while I heard the audience cheering. As she was sliding her ring into my finger, I saw a person from the audience getting up and leaving. He seemed like a young man, and I conjectured that it could be Austin. But I literally did nothing except wait for the right time.

That was when I realized that God can be this cruel too.

***

Excusing myself to use the restroom, I went in search of Austin. He was nowhere to be found in the amphitheater. So, collecting my guts, I left the place, and searched the nearby lanes.

I was west of the amphitheater, while I saw a familiar person smoking in a dark lane.

"Austin?" I called him out, while he quickly rubbed his eyes and looked at me.

Yes. He is Austin.

I ran towards him, yelling, "WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GO!?"

"Why are you here? Claudia will punish us if she sees us here," he said softly.

"SO WHAT, GODDAMMIT!? Why did you leave?"

"I... I just want to."

He looked away from me, while I found some longing feeling in his eyes.

Exhaling sharply, I asked the question I wanted to ask. "Austin. Be honest. Do you like me?"

Word Count: 1013 words