17: marley

That stress I had about what to wear when meeting the devil's roommates is nothing compared to what I'm feeling now. I don't want to dress too fancy and then look like I cared too much about my appearance, but I don't want to look like a total slob.

I can't believe JJ walked in shirtless earlier. Once I got over the initial shock, I wanted to laugh but the look on Gray's and Dad's faces easily helped me repress the urge.

For the first time since I cut my hair shorter, I regret it. I did it for a change, but I'm starting to wonder if I did it for the wrong reasons. I twist my fingers through the end of it as I look into the mirror.

We stopped by the villa my aunt rented for the weekend so I wouldn't ruin the artwork we'd come here for before we slipped away to go on an adventure.

I honestly would have let JJ take me anywhere but for some damn reason, I can't bring myself to leave his side. And by his side I lay.

It's so peaceful here in the field of wildflowers that we're lying in underneath the warm sun.

"I wish I could live here." I admit softly, not particularly excited to go back to New York tomorrow.

JJ props himself up onto his elbow, "You could." He says with a smile on his face.

"Oh really?" I ask, amused by his easy response.

"Yes."

"Should I be concerned about you?" I tease, not wanting to dig too deep into his reasoning and he scrunches his nose up.

"Concerned about what?"

"Do you need me to call someone for you? JJ, you barely know me."

He flops back onto the ground, "Haven't you heard of love at first sight?"

I can't help it. I snort. And then I'm absolutely mortified by the sound that came out of my mouth that I cover my face with my hands as I wait for the sound of JJ laughing.

But it doesn't come. I peek between my fingers to see him staring seriously at me and it throws me off. I haven't seen him look serious once today. His easy smile, the constant stream of jokes, the confidence he exudes. "You're not serious are you?"

"I think I need another hour to decide, but Just Marley, I do think you're making me fall in love with you and I think you're going to fall in love with me too."

See, now this should freak me out. A boy I met hours ago is telling me that I'm making him fall in love with me and that I'm going to fall in love with him too? Insanity, but he doesn't look crazy.

I can't think of anything to say because my brain is so flabbergasted. The only thing I can think to do is to sit up and look out at the sprawling meadow in front of us. The array of freshly bloomed flowers in deep hues of purple and splashes of pink are surrounding us in the plush green grass.

The sound of the grass swaying in the breeze is the only sound for a while as we lay there in comfortable silence. His hand brushes against mine and I inch closer to him until my arm is pressed against his. JJ loops our pinkies together, exhaling as he does.

My heart is beating faster in my chest at pinky holding than it did the entire time I dated my last boyfriend.

Why am I being affected like this by him?

"I promise I'm not a creep. I had no ulterior motives when I approached you this morning. You looked lost and I wanted to help, but once I looked into your eyes, I knew I'd follow you to the ends of the Earth if you asked me to. It probably sounds stupid and slightly serial killery, but I'll tell you anything you want to know." JJ says softly, breaking the silence.