BurningLeafShipping

"I'll see you tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah! See ya later, Red!"

Red was good friends with Leaf. He could always rely on her, and he would lend a hand when she needed help. Leaf had no other friends in Pallet town, which was understandable considering the only other kid their age was Green, and Red could bluntly tell you, "He's an asshole." In fact, Red made friends with Leaf after Green began bullying him for seemingly no reason (believe it or not, they were best friends at some point).

Every morning was a routine. Red would run out, only shouting a brief, "Bye mom, I'm going to see Leaf!" His mother would just chuckle at his antics and leave him to do what children do without question.

They have been friends for years at this point, and yet he has never been to Leaf's house or even meet her parents. He worried if she has even mentioned him to them.

They strolled through the town, kicking the same pebble they encounter every few steps.

"When can we go to your house?" The brown haired boy asked her.

"Why do you want to know?" Leaf replied. "Soon, I promise. I just don't know if my dad would approve of me hanging out with a boy yet." She winked. The boy blushed; he did develop a small crush on the girl. By small I mean he's not even 10 yet. It was only one of those cute little crushes most people outgrow within a year.

Well...he actually never grew out of it. The brown haired girl occupied his thoughts all the time, and all he wanted to do was travel with her on their upcoming Pokemon journey. The novice trainer planned to ask her today, the day before they got their Pokemon.

"Leaf!" The boy grinned and waved to her before running over. "You know what tomorrow is, right?" The girl's smile matched his and she nodded.

"The day we get our first Pokemon! Do you know which one you're gonna pick?"

"I was gonna pick Charmander! Although Squirtle would be cool too...or Bulbasaur..." He tightened his lips in a thin line as he thought about his future choice.

Leaf giggled. "You can only pick one, silly!" Red blushed, like how he normally does around Leaf.

"Yeah, I know...I'm just so excited!"

"Hey, hey! Tomorrow I'll have to tell my parents about my Pokemon journey! Do you wanna come with me and maybe travel with me?" She asked.

The red eyed boy was ecstatic. His smile went ear to ear and his eyes sparkled. "Yes! I'd love to!"

"Yay! Meet me over there," Leaf pointed to the entrance to the next route outside of Pallet town. "tomorrow morning, okay?"

"Okay!"

He couldn't sleep that night. The thoughts of starting a Pokemon journey with the girl he loved and getting his first Pokemon occupied his mind. And the nervousness of meeting her parents for the first time. Tomorrow was going to be a big day, Red thought, and tried to rest for tomorrow.

The next morning he saw Leaf waiting at the spot they agreed on meeting at. Excited, he ran over, shouting her name the way.

The girl turned and noticed him, smiling as soon as she noticed him. "My house is just a little outside of town, come on!" She grabbed his gloved hand, and dragged him into the tall grass, running towards her residence.

"Wait! Pokemon live in the tall grass!" A voice yelled behind them, panic in their tone. Red stopped and turned, noticing the infamous Professor Oak running their way. "It's not safe to go alone!"

"Huh? I'm not alone, I've got-" The boy turned and expected to see Leaf there, waiting, but it was just him and Oak. "Oh, she must have gone on ahead..."

The professor was clearly puzzled, but led the young trainer-to-be out of the tall grass and to his lab. Red quickly forgot about going to Leaf's house, and focused on getting his first Pokemon. Upon walking into the lab, he noticed his rival was already there, impatiently tapping his foot.

"Took ya long enough, Red!" He sneered.

Red looked back at the door, waiting for his friend to walk in. "Is something wrong, Red?" Professor Oak asked him, noticing Red's attention was towards the door.

"I'm just wondering when Leaf is gonna get here."

"...Leaf? I only have you and Green getting Pokemon today."

The boy in red turned, confusion in his features. "What? We were suppose to go on our journey together today. We were on our way to her parent's house to tell them."

"When I came to get you, you were alone." Oak told him. "There's no Leaf here..."

Green snickered. "Still have imaginary friends? Loser."

Between the confused look on the Professor's face, and his snickering rival, Red was devastated. He couldn't wrap his mind around this. There was no way. He remembered all the laughs they had, all the conversations they shared, all the times they supported one another and helped with their problems...and yet...

Leaf doesn't exist.

She never did.

Everything reminded him of her. The girl who never existed. He dwelled on this his whole journey, even now as he stood at the peak of Mt. Silver, alone, just him and his thoughts...like how it was before.

"Red! There you are! Where have you been?"