Chapter 9: Storytellers and Dealmakers

Waves lazily rolled across the Neverland Sea's surface and licked at the sand as the blazing orange sun began to dip under the horizon. The sky was painted with an ombre of deep violet, blue, crimson and medallion yellow. Stars blinked behind the cottony clouds. A sweet flowery smell wafted through the air. There could be no better evening for a picnic.

After a meal of tangy island fruits and fish roasted over the fire, Wendy sat contentedly on the woolen blanket next to the crackling fire, relishing in the cool current of air brushing through her curls. She grinned at Peter and the rest of the boys splashing in the shallow water, their shoes discarded on various piles of sand. She ran her fingers through her hair, inhaling the pleasant scent that was Neverland. She'd never been so relaxed and carefree as she was now.

Wendy observed, amused, TinkerBell dodge the flying water droplets and flutter over to a conch shell. The little pixie sat on the shell, her face exasperated as she blew her fluffy blonde bangs out of her face and caught her breath. Of course, the pixie's rest didn't last long. TinkerBell raised her eyebrows when the shell began to move, only to discover, as she leaned over, that a beady eyed crab had made its residence in this particular object. The pixie sighed, but didn't bother to get up as the crab meandered its way across the beach.

Wendy chuckled, her focus drifting back to the rambunctious children in the water. She couldn't help especially staring at Peter. His green tunic was suctioned to his chest, damp with the salty sea, revealing his lithe and slight muscular frame. His face was bright and his dark eyes were flecked with gold. Wendy pulled her knees to her chest, trying to repress the flitter in her chest. There was something so different about Peter from the London boys beyond this magical island. He was not refined, to say the least. He did not wear a suit or own any fine watches or cuff links. He had no need for them (or money to buy them with). Peter was brazen and adventurous.

And shamelessly handsome, Wendy thought, her face reddening, as if he might hear. Not that she'd never thought that before. She recalled many a night after her time in Neverland thinking about Peter. He was the first boy she'd ever fancied. But now that he was older, as was she, Wendy felt rather rebellious finding a boy like Peter so attractive. Especially since she was practically already engaged to an awfully dull and practical man back home.

It took her a moment to realize her name was being called in an alarming fashion.

"Wendy!" It was Joey. But Wendy didn't have clear sight of him. The boys were gathered around little Joey. Worried that he'd injured himself, Wendy kicked off her bedroom shoes and scrambled to her feet. The sand was soft and warm. She jogged over to the group, which parted to make way for her. Joey sniffled, tightly holding onto his foot with both hands.

Wendy crouched. "Oh, Joey. What happened?" To her astonishment, Joey shouted, "Now, Mr. Pan!".

A stream of lukewarm water came pouring over Wendy's head, soaking her hair and nightdress. Her mouth hung open in pure speechlessness, the water dripping from her lips as the boys around her burst into snickers. She blinked, her vision still blurry from the water, and looked up to see Peter floating above her, holding a large half of an oyster shell. His smirk was annoyingly sheepish and satisfied all at once. He merely shrugged.

Wendy frowned, angrily placing her fists on her hips. "Peter, that wasn't very nice at all."

Peter dropped the shell and threw his hands up in a feigned innocence. "It wasn't my idea!"

Wendy could've lectured him, but instead, she took a deep breath and bent down to scoop up some of the sea water. The girl flung the water, drenching Peter's shocked face.

The boy spit out the water and wiped a hand down his face as he slowly touched down to the ground, The Lost Boys and Michael howling with laughter. Wendy batted her eyelashes, deciding that two could play at the innocent game.