Chapter 7: The Baited Hook

"And now to bait me trap."

The thought had been on Hook's mind long after he'd fallen asleep at his desk, lingering in his head like fog on a stormy day. The sunlight strewn in through the windows, making bright yellow streaks across the messy surface that Hook rested his head on. Maps large and small were scattered about, as were the burnt carcasses of cigars and a plate of a half eaten loaf of bread. Though the Captain could feel himself awakening, he had no desire to open his eyes, for that thought would only plague him once again. A dark cloud following him everywhere he went.

"And now to bait me trap."

But bait it with what? Peter had no weaknesses that Hook could clearly place his finger on. If he wasn't his sworn enemy, Hook would've made the boy his apprentice in a heartbeat. Melding him into a clone of himself would be easier than breathing for it seemed that Peter could care less about anything. Yes there was that irksome fairy and that rambunctious band of boys, but if it came down to his pride, Peter would choose it over them at the drop of a hat.

Just as his deep pondering began to send him back into a half asleep consciousness, Smee rushed into the room, a look of urgency on his face, and tapped the Captain on the shoulder. Hook grumbled.

"What is it now Sm-"

But Smee wasted no time in interrupting the Captain, though hesitancy played in his eyes as he wondered what Hook's disastrous reaction would be this time. "It seems that Mr.Pan left the island...and came back with more of those mainland children."

Hook shot the old man a deadpan and bothered expression. "And how does this affect me-self? Did you not expect him to bring more of those brats? It's what he does, like a feline carrying home a dead rodent." The Captain rubbed his temples.

"Well, yes, Cap'n...but we believe it's that little Wendy girl and one of her brothers. Wendy Darling?"

Hook furrowed his brows and rested his chin on his clasped hands, elbows resting on the desk. His eyes darted back and forth across the room as he searched his thoughts.

Darling...Darling? Now where have I heard that name? He wondered. It was so familiar, like a word on the tip of his tongue.

"Captain Hook, we will never join your crew." Yes, the memory was returning now. A strong headed little girl in a blue nightdress. Wendy Darling and her two pesky little brothers.

At first, Hook sported a sneered lip as he was bothered by this recollection. But then...he was intrigued. It had been years since the last time young Wendy had visited the island. She couldn't have been so young anymore. So why would Pan want anything to do with a child who was not so much a child anymore?

Smee watched these emotions play out on the Captain's expressive features as he stood with his hands clasped behind his back and rocked on the balls of his feet. He could only imagine the plots being concocted in that twisted and mysterious mind of Hook's. While Smee was a loyal and obedient assistant (if you could even call him that at the most), even he had to admit the Captain could be a bit...eccentric at times.

It was then that one of his crew, a skinny skeleton of a man with a long beard and droopy solemn eyes, opened the creaking door, skittishly shuffling into the room. "Cap'n 'ook, Peter Pan's comin' in close."

Captain Hook arose from his desk, snatching a bronze colored telescope from a shelf as he stumbled out the door, Smee trailing close behind.

A mass of Hook's crew stood huddled around the edge of the deck, some leaning over the railing, to get a better look at what seemed like three silhouette figures flying against the orange and yellow sunrise over the clear Neverland sea. It didn't take a detective to notice how displeased Hook was as he gruffly unfolded his telescope and held it up to one of his beady eyes. "What are you up to, Pan?" He growled.

From what Hook could see, Smee's observations proved true. There was Peter Pan, in all of his glory, with a beaming Wendy Darling clinging to him, arms thrown around his neck. Close behind flew a young boy in a matching set of red pajamas and the sparkle of fairy dust dusted about him, clutching a slightly tattered stuffed bear. Hook assumed this was one of her trouble making little brothers. And then right behind him was that hard-headed little pixie. From the looks of it, they were heading South towards the hideout.

Next to the Captain, stood Smee, who was rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "It doesn't make any sense." He whispered. "It seems unnatural for Pan to bring the same children to Neverland twice."

Hook lowered his telescope wondering the exact same thing. Why would he... The air became ominously chilled as a flicker of an idea popped into Hook's scheming mind. His lips turned up into a menacing grin. "By Jove, I've got it." Hook's slimy smile only grew as his maniacal plot unraveled in his head. "Finally, an Achilles Heel, his weakness!" The man mused.

Smee raised a questioning eyebrow. "And that would be...?"

Hook spun around. "The girl, you blubbering bilgerat! Wendy!"

For a split second, Smee could swear he saw his Captain's eyes glow yellow, slitted like the pupils of a snake. Hook quietly snickered, shoving his telescope into the arms of the bumbling Smee.

"Peter Pan has never brought a child to the island twice. She must be special! Wendy Darling will be our bait, and now to seek out my hook."

         As Peter landed with Wendy still wrapped around his back, a gleeful Michael, and an unamused Pixie, four of The Lost Boys slid down the trunks of trees while the other two burst from bushes.

"Who'd you bring, Pan?!"

"Who is it?"

"Where were you?"

It was at that moment when a wave of unsure emotions hit Wendy as she hopped down off of Peter and nervously dragged Michael to her side by his wrist.

Six pairs of wide and curious eyes met hers. She took a step back, but found herself running into Peter's chest. There was an awkward silence as Michael gripped Wendy's nightgown, contemplating if he should go to the ragged bunch of boys. Wendy's rapidly beating heart was caught in her throat. Luckily, Peter gave her a reassuring smile before pushing her slightly forward.

"Well boys,...is that how you're expected to greet your Mother?" He asked, resting a fist on his hip.

Wendy gulped.

But thankfully, Peter's charismatic nature worked its magic once again. Wendy was practically trampled with hugs and joyous laughter. It was then that she knew she was truly back. Trying her best to hug them all at once, Wendy sat criss-crossed on the dirt ground. Tootles, Cubby, Nibs, Slightly, The Twins! They hadn't changed one bit.

"It's the Wendybird!" Cubby cheered.

"Oh Boys! I've missed you so much!" Wendy's face warmed. She really had longed to see all of them again. Longed to see all of Neverland again. Michael greeted the boys as well, clearly pleased that he was finally their height and wouldn't be considered the "baby" anymore.

Peter leaned against a nearby rock with his arms crossed, soaking up the scene. For once in his life, he didn't mind at all not being the center of attention. It had been a while since his heart felt so full. And seeing Wendy back...well, it made him happier than his pride would care to admit.

A soft tug on his tunic brought him from his thoughts. Looking down, Joey stood next to him, gazing back up at Peter with a worried expression.

"Somethin' the matter Joey?" Peter asked, shifting his weight so he could see the small boy better.

Joey didn't reply, but instead, shyly glanced over at The Lost Boys who were loudly bombarding Wendy and Michael with endless questions.

Peter chuckled. "There's no need to be shy. You're one of 'em now. A Lost Boy I mean."

Tootles took notice of the exchange and actually stopped sucking his thumb to beckon Joey over. Joey looked up at Peter once more, who nodded his head towards the group, and Joey was off, instantly being welcomed by pats on the back and a kind Wendy who immediately noticed him and took his hands, asking him to introduce himself.

And while an empty place in Neverland was filled once again, Hook was readying his revenge...