Chapter Forty-Seven

QUOTE OF THE DAY: THE MEASURE OF ACHIEVEMENT IS NOT WINNING AWARDS. IT'S DOING SOMETHING THAT YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING YOU BELIEVE IS WORTHWHILE – JULIA CHILD

THE MVP AWARDS – PART ONE

Omniscient POV

"Have any of you heard from Aliya?" August asked and everyone rolled their eyes. "Why y'all rolling y'all eyes for?"

"You literally broke the girl's heart. I'd be surprised if we did hear from her." Malachi said and August just sighed.

"It's complicated man. I ain't mean to break her heart." He said and Neilah just scoffed.

"You sound like Chris. Well back when he was with Kayoni anyways." Neilah said and Ja'Colby snickered.

"Who sounds like me?" Chris asked, looking up from his phone.

"August does apparently." Ja'Colby said and Chris eyed August before turning his attention back down to his screen.

"What are you looking at?" Neilah questioned Chris and he just shrugged. "Answer my question. A shrug ain't going to pass."

"It's nothing, I'm just looking for a tux for the MVP awards." He said, showing her his screen.

"You taking a plus one?" Ja'Colby asked and Chris shook his head. "Me neither."

The bell for 4th period went off and they all walked to English together. Things have felt very off since Aliya has been gone. She isn't answering her phone and whenever they tried to give her a surprise visit at home, she was never there. Harris wasn't making things any better.

"August!" they heard Harris shout and they all groaned and walked into class, ignoring her.

They sat down in their assigned seats and took out their work. Harris, Avyanna, and Azalea then walked in. Harris had her eyes fixed on August and she frowned when she realized that he was ignoring her.

"August, I know you heard me calling you. Why are you ignoring me?" she said as she approached him.

"Ain't nobody ignoring your ugly ass." He said and she looked at him through eyes of fury.

"Girl, why are you mad? He don't even want your trifling ass. You know his eyes set on one person and one person only." Avyanna said and Azalea nodded her head in agreement.

"Face it, Harris. He don't want you. Even I think you're ugly. You got your "looks" from your ugly ass daddy. So don't. Don't start, don't start." Azalea said and Kayoni hollered with laughter.

"I'm sorry but she right." Kayoni laughed and Harris rolled her eyes.

"Akiki akiki, with your hyena ass laugh." Harris said and everyone just rolled their eyes and went back to ignoring her. "Cosa c'è di sbagliato nelle persone"

"Okay class, I'm going to set up the promethean board and then I'll show you what we're doing for our next project." Mrs. Kenneth said and everyone gave her a blank stare. "Damn, nobody got nothing to say? Usually you guys groan and what not."

"So you mad cause we aint say nothing? You mad cause we don't give a fuck no more? Okay miss teacher." Someone in the back said the classroom erupted with laughter.

"That's more like it." Mrs. Kenneth said and the classroom went dead silent.

"If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with you?" Avyanna said and the classroom burst into another fit of laughter.