14. phase two

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER
PHASE TWO

( Friday 2nd January 1998 )

Rowan lay sprawled out on top of Pansy's huge four poster bed, her head tilted towards the ceiling, her fingers drumming against her own stomach. There were hushed voices downstairs, but Rowan barely paid attention. Dressed in one of Pansy's oversized black tees and a pair of pyjama shorts, she wasn't appropriate to go down and investigate why Pansy's parents had needed her anyway.

She figured she'd find out soon enough by the way that there was one final muffled yell and then pounding feet up the stairs. Rowan sat up as the door opened, revealing her distressed best friend.

"I'm so fucking sorry, Rowan," Pansy huffed, running a hand through her short hair. "They told your father you were staying here. He's on his way."

Rowan felt her stomach drop and her heart skip a beat. She hadn't seen him since she'd called him a disgusting pig and insulted all of his friends and colleagues. In all honesty, Rowan was going to see if she could get away with going back to Hogwarts, turning eighteen, and then moving out as soon as school finished in June.

Pansy chucked a coat at Rowan. "Grab your wand. I'll Apparate us to —"

There was a bang at the door before Rowan could even get both arms through Pansy's coat.

"Pansy, open the door," Mr Parkinson warned, "Mr Yaxley is here to collect Rowan."

Pansy didn't answer and reached out to grab Rowan's hand. Rowan bit her lip as Pansy closed her eyes. They both expected the sickening pull, the twisting, to feel their feet plant on a different ground.

"It's not fucking working," Pansy hissed in a whisper.

Rowan tried too, but nothing happened.

"We've turned the Apparition wards off, Pansy," Mrs Parkinson warned loudly. "Come out here this instant, or else we will have to open the door ourselves."

"I'm so sorry, Corban," They heard Mr Parkinson's hushed voice. "Our daughter's not normally so disobedient. And we weren't made aware that Rowan had run away until now."

Rowan exchanged a panicked look with Pansy. "Thanks for trying," she said.

Pansy looked as if she was in agony. "This isn't fair. After what those men were saying, the way your own father looked at you —"

"I know." Rowan swallowed thickly. "I'm sure I'll be in trouble for my mouth, but you know there's nothing I can't handle."

Still, her best friend didn't look convinced. Much to Rowan's surprise, her green eyes even began to fill with tears. She'd never seen Pansy look so scared before.

"I have a really bad feeling," she whispered, ignoring the further knocks. "Rowan, please don't go home with him."

"I don't want to either," Rowan replied, feeling the lump in her throat start to form. "But I don't exactly have a choice. He's never laid a hand on me before —"

"But the way he touched you when he was drunk." Pansy looked sick as she shook her head. "How he looked at you suggestively, thinking about how much you look like your mother! What if he drinks one too many next time and becomes even more twisted and sick —"

"Pans, please don't say that," Rowan attempted to hold back a gag, her hands shaking.

"Rowan!" Mr Yaxley boomed. "This has gone on long enough. It's time for you to come home."