13. new years ball

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER
NEW YEARS BALL

( Wednesday 31st December 1997 )

After watching a practically comical match between the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw Quidditch teams, where Ravenclaw had been practically annihilated, everybody had been sent home for the Christmas break. Rowan spent a majority of it in her bedroom, studying unfortunately, or out in the garden practising Quidditch by herself. She met up with Pansy in Muggle London for a day out, however, thanks to the time of year, it had been absolutely packed.

Christmas Day itself was nothing but a disappointment as always. Lunch had been served by the house elves in the dining hall, but she and her father had sat opposite sides of a long table. She'd been given money, and then once he had cleared his plate, he was off to attend some important business, apparently.

New Year's Eve came around rather slowly, but when it did, Rowan was actually happy. Finally, she could get out of the manor, away from her father for a while. She was excited to see Pansy again, even if they'd already met up in the break. However, surprisingly, Rowan also found herself eager to see Blaise and Theo again.

Draco was another story. She was glad to have a break from him for a while. The sex dream she'd had about him played on her mind a little too much for her liking, but she managed to brush it off right before Christmas. He'd upped Quidditch practice to three times a week after seeing how good Gryffindor were this year, so she had to see him even more often.

When the evening rolled around, Rowan unzipped the bag hanging up in her wardrobe, delicately pulling out the dress that she had bought in Hogsmeade specifically for tonight. She was excited to wear it. Even the woman who owned the shop had gasped upon seeing Rowan wearing it, and she couldn't wait to show it off.

She slipped it on once she had done her hair and makeup. Winged eyeliner of course, but she'd also gone for a berry-coloured lip stain. Her dress was everything Rowan could have possibly wanted in a dress.

It was black and strapless with a sweetheart neckline, corset-like really with the way it cinched her waist in, and then the skirt flowed down to her feet, a slit in the side that allowed her leg to poke through. The top was decorated with sparkling jewels that faded and became sparse down the skirt. Her favourite part was the sparkled mesh cape that came with it. There was dark material that covered her bare shoulders and reached up her neck, the rest flowing down to rest on the floor with her skirt.

Rowan looked in the mirror and she felt powerful.

When the clock in her bedroom read nine in the evening, Rowan carefully stepped down the staircase, reaching the foyer where her father was waiting. His robes were dark and neat, his greying hair pulled back into a short ponytail behind his head. He glanced up when he heard her heels click on the marble flooring, his lips pursing into a straight line.

"That slit in your dress is hardly respectable, is it, Rowan?" He hissed, but held his arm out so she could place hers on top for the side Apparition. "You don't leave much to the imagination."

Rowan squirmed at the comment, suddenly feeling exposed and disgusted, but she felt the pull behind her belly button as she was Apparated away from Yaxley Manor and planted outside the gate of Malfoy Manor.

She walked alongside her father, her eyes trained on her feet as he spoke to the man at the gate. They shared a laugh over something, but Rowan wasn't paying attention. Her arms wrapped around her middle. She wanted to disappear.

She followed him down the path, all the way to the front door where someone took his coat and her bag. Her father glanced around, grinning as he approached the host of the party.