CHAPTER FIVE

Nyangi's POV....

You'd think even after seeing him with another girl I'd be over him. Right?? Well yeah... I can officially say I was dickmatized. And I couldn't even remember well how good he was. I guess my body could subconsciously remember. Sometimes at night I'd dream of him and his kisses and touch. Sometimes it could get so hot that I'd wake up feeling hot and bothered and had to use my substitute to help satisfy me. And I'd still come off shorthanded. Seems I'd either have to get over my ego and look for him, or look for another person to satisfy me just as good as him. My choice is the latter though. After seeing him on a date with that woman, and knowing how much of a player he was from his own stories the night we slept together, I'd only be looking to get my heart broken. And I had had my fare share of those to last me two lifetimes.

So I had decided that I was going to focus on me. After all, it was meant to be a one night stand with no strings attached. That's what I had been hoping for when I went there right?

I heard my stomach growling and got up to go get my lunch from the office fridge. I had been feeling off of late, and so I had decided to be carrying food from home seeing as I thought I had caught a stomach bug since last week. I had been puking my guts out like a crazy person to the point where Kare had been worried when she called once while I was in the bathroom lying on the cold tiles, trying to catch my breath after dry heaving for a few minutes.

"Ssup bitch!" speak of the devil, Kare walked into my office like she owned the place. Dressed in her usual boho attire I knew she wasn't at work that day. She had on loose yellow, green and red Ankara pants, paired with a black vest and a jeans jacket complete with white vans. Her locks which had brown tops were tyed up in a bun on top of her head. Kare was what you'd call a free spirit. Whereas I was a bit reserved, she literally went with the flow. Her life moto was, "moving to the direction the wind took her."

But she wasn't always like this. We met in uni, as we happened to take the same course. She was shy but still had the whole free spirit attitude under cover and rarely interacted with people, but me being the ever social butterfly, decided to approach her one day before classes had began. Then she met her ex, Reese, who also happened to be in the same class and he and his friends ended up joining us and we became a whole crew.

Now Reese happened to be a narc in sheep skin. We didn't know but I started to slowly notice Kare changing. Reese had told Kare to remove her nose and tongue piercings, made her change her clothes and even told her to change her behavior of how she always went out on the weekends. She thought it was love, that he saw a future with her. She wasn't even allowed to interact with most of her friends. Except me of course, because there was no way she could cut me off.

However, it got worse when we took different majors, which meant we spent less time together. But even when we talked, it felt like she was slowly dying on the inside. To make matters worse, he would cheat and deny it. I once got so pissed that I wanted to confront him about it but Kare told me not to get involved. And I respected her wishes. She had changed to fit the perfect wife description. And he liked controlling her. Even going to church.

I saw all these red flags but the most profound one was him not wanting to introduce her to his parents. I may not have experience in the relationship department but I know there's no way you can claim you want to be serious with someone, and for five years you've never once introduced her to your family. When I told her my two cents she confronted him and in a panic he introduced her.

But things went south when she asked him where she saw his life in five years. And not once did he mention her in his life plans. That's when it hit her. She was never meant to be in his life to begin with. And so heart broken, she called it quits. And slowly but surely she sprung back like a Phoenix, even stronger. And she was living life large. She quit her toxic job and started her own company with her sister. She had cut off all her toxic friends and lived life one day at a time,when it came to relationships.

"Hey to you too.... What's up?" I asked her as I got two forks from cabinet.
"Was in the area, thought I'd pass by and see how you were doing. Last we talked you were a wreck." she said wincing dramatically as she took a seat opposite me on my office desk.
"Yeah I'm feeling much better. Although I'm still a bit nauseated but I'll survive for now." I half lied. The last thing I needed was for her to panic and rush me to the hospital because the truth was I still puked my guts out almost every morning. I made a mental note to go to the hospital that day after I left work.

" Have you thought that maybe it could be something else?" she asked taking a bite of the rice and beef stew we were sharing.
"what do you mean?" I asked her.
"It's been what, two three months since you had that rendezvous, and even though I'm sure y'all were safe, you can never be too sure." she said before chewing.

Now that I thought about it, she could be saying the truth. My periods were late but they were always irregular and were mostly affected by change in season. So no alarm bells had rung in my head. My heart started to beat faster as panic sunk in. Oh shit, I could be pregnant. What was I going to do? I had just started working and was not what you'd call financially stable to become a mum yet. And I had always thought I'd become a mum in like two or three years after I was secure. Was I ready to become a single mother? I had never been for abortion nor did I ever think about adoption.

"Hey hey! Calm down Maya... We don't know yet... So let's stop panicking." she said getting up from her chair and that's when I noticed that I was having a panic/asthma attack.
"Where's your inhaler?" she asked and I pointed at the cabinet that held my bag.
"The... Whiz.. Back..whiz...pocket..."i whizzed out and she hurriedly took it out and handed it to me. I quickly took two puffs and started to feel the air get into my lungs once again. Once I was calm enough, I had already made a decision.

" I need to take a test just to be sure. "I said though deep down I already knew that I was ninety percent sure I was pregnant.
" Sure. I'll go get the test kits from the pharmacy. You just stay here. I'll be right back. "she said as she rushed out of the office.

I decided to call Mal. If I was going through this she'd want to know. Plus I needed the moral support of the only other person I trusted.

She picked up on the second ring.
" Hey you! What's up? "she asked. We always had this spiritual link where we could sense when either of us was not okay. She called us soul twins. It was something we had since we were young.
" Can you talk? "I asked my throat closing up again.
" Let me get to my room.. "she said then I heard movement in the background." Okay. Tell me. What's wrong? "
" I think I might be pregnant... "I ripped the band aid off.
" I'm on my way. Don't move until I'm at your office. "was all she said and she hung up....