CHAPTER ONE

Maya(Nyangi's) POV...( image above)

It was a regular Friday night. Well not regular where I come from because it was end month and that usually means it's time to hit the clubs for most young folks. Generally, Kenyans look for any reason to party. Actually it's the entire African continent to be honest. But the end month weekend was usually when people hit the clubs and parties at their highest. Even with struggling finances, it didn't stop us from having an excuse to drink and party. In Kenya we say tutajulia baadaye, which is swahili for we'll know later. Basically means that we shall start being concerned after we have pigad sherehe proper( party like it's your last).

So like everyone else, I decided to join in on the fun and slogan. I had just moved out from my mum's house and this was the first weekend I was "finally free". You see back at home I didn't have as much freedom. My mum was what you could term, over protective. So I rarely went out or met with people my age. Like on average I went out gout or five times the entire year. That plus the fact that covid restrictions were lifted, it was time for me to unleash the dragon, lol.

At the start of the year, things hadn't exactly been good for me. I hadn't finished school, didn't have a job and the icing on the cake, my ex decided he didn't want to continue stringing me along when our relationship had failed. Truth be told, I had felt it coming a few weeks before. I had even prepped myself mentally and was waiting to drop the ball when it became too much to handle, but he beat me to it. The first time that had happened to be honest, since I was always the one dumping people. Truth be told it wasn't nice being on the other side of the table. And even prepping myself hadn't really softened the blow.

I was disappointed we didn't fight for it though. You see, I had never had a relationship last more than three months. Funny how I call them relationships when I should just call them flings. And after my last boyfriend turned out to be a married scum who didn't even have the audacity to be honest with me, I had taken a three year break from love in general. Oh wait, I don't think I've ever experienced love to be honest, lol. So scratch that. Let's call them intense feelings that pisces people experience when they are in relationships or flings in my case.

He approached me on Twitter, and the conversation went on from there. We met for lunch, which sealed the deal as we were both aware how intense the chemistry was. It was like I had met my other half. And it wasn't just about the sexual chemistry but also the fact that we clicked intellectually. Being twenty six at the time, I was looking for something serious hoping it would lead to marriage. He was mature and seemed to know what he was looking for. And I knew he was the right candidate for me.

We made time for each other, every chance we got during the honeymoon period. Since I was a virgin, he didn't pressure me to have sex with him. But that didn't mean that we didn't have fun and played around any chance we got.

However, slowly, he started to be a bit distance a few weeks into the fling. He had gone home to Germany( he's an expart), and he ran into his ex. However he assured me that nothing was going on, although in my gut I knew shit wasn't as it seemed. But I told myself that I was looking for a reason to run away again. So I decided to hold on to lost hope.

The messages went from one word answers to not talking for days. His excuse, that he was busy. My best friend, Kare( short form for wangari , a Kikuyu name) told me that this was a sign to pack up and leave. That any man that liked you enough would make time to see you even if it's for a day. But I was still hopeful. How dumb I was,because right before Christmas, he hit me with the "it's not you it's me" phrase. Because I rarely cause drama, I decided to be mature about it and told him the feeling was mutual and that it should end and remain as friends. To top it all, I got a message on the same day from my boss who, decided to lay me off after I told him off for blaming me for his mistake. It was an overall shitty Christmas for me after that.