Chapter Seventeen: A New Beginning (Teaser)

As soon as I heard the word 'run', I knew in that moment, my days of innocent childhood were long gone and the bridge to where I am now and where I was, is currently crumbling to kindling. There is no way back – not to the idiotic state I was in before. I made errors and mistakes, I became a person who I hated and never thought I would be or become. I am a cliché of bad horror movies mixed with True Blood.

I lie awake canopied by trees. I look up to the sky and try to count the stars that barely make it through the thicket of branches that were shielding my eyes from the moon. I think back to those moments of regret and shiver into the cold, and slightly damp, forest floor. Countless lives could have been lost tonight, people might give their lives to fight for me and I used my newfound powers to jack someone of in a limo... I am so deeply ashamed of myself. I think I know why I did it, not that my 'why' is a good reason or even excuse. I wasn't brave enough to look into myself – not until now. I guess that is what happens when you have to abandon everything in a moment and flee. I know nothing of what could be going on. Has it all finished? Which side won? Did anyone win? Am I a good person? I used to think I was, until a few hours ago, when I finally let my mind, completely uncensored, think about Logan. I wish I could have been better to him and by being better to him, I mean, he died for me. Logan died because of me. Yes, it was an accident but, I was the true cause. It was preventable – why couldn't I have been honest with myself? I never knew who I loved or who I wanted. I am unsure if I love anyone in the way that one is supposed to love someone. I always thought love was this thing that just happens to people and everything works out, and they get married, move in together and always be there for one another. However, I am way too immature to have love, if I even have it at all. I am too immature to be in this position that I am in. I am struggling to think of my purpose, my true-

I hear the sound of rustling coming from all directions. It is loud and sudden; it causes my skin to prickle and the hair to stand out on the back of my neck. I slowly back myself against the nearest tree. Placing my hands on the rough bark behind me I slowly slide my body up against the tree until I am standing. I turn my head from side to side quickly while also trying to control my breathing. My heart is beating loud in my ears and I struggle to make out what direction the latest sound is coming from. I place my hand over my mouth to silence any noises that I involuntarily make out of fear. I haven't needed to use my powers while in a high-stress environment and done it successfully – as they are mostly emotion based, they are extremely hard to control when I am emotional. I haven't mastered any skills to the level required to fight, in what I am expecting, will be a bloody battle. I used my powers to pleasure someone, not to kick-ass. I am in deep belief that I am more useless than Phoebe in the later seasons of Charmed.

'Sam?' I hear my name whispered low. I turn my face quickly to the direction that it came from. In the dim light, the light that is barely making it through the thick branch system above me, I watch as a shadow slowly approaches. I stay silent and watch in horror as it gets closer. I know I have a moment to run but I won't get far – not without a distraction like before. This was do or die, I have to do something.

'Sam, it's me.' The voice says as the shadow finally gets shape in the moonlight. It's Hunter.

'Hunter, oh my god!' I run into his slightly open arms and hold him close to me. 'Hunter.' I let out a long breathe. 'I was so worried! Are you okay? Are you hurt?' I unlink my arms from his waist and examine his face with my hands. I see small cuts and some dried blood on his face. His chest has similar injuries, actually, his whole body housed a cut or bruise or dried blood. Is the blood his or someone else's? Someone I know?

'I'm okay. Everyone is okay.' I can tell from his voice that this was a major oversimplification of the truth and a possible complete deviation from the truth as a whole. I want to ask questions. I want to know more, know everything, but I can tell from his stature and the way his eyes don't dare meet mine, that it is not the time for that.

'Okay, okay. What do we do now?' I ask.

'What do you mean?'

'Well, what's next. Where do we go? Is there anywhere safe we can go to?' Hunter doesn't say anything for a moment. It feels like a never-ending moment.

'Yes.' Hunter finally replies. Before I can ask where Hunter shifts into his wolf and lowers his front half to allow easy access for me to climb on. I climb on without hesitation or questions: "the time isn't right" I say to myself over and over in my head as I clutch to Hunter's fur to avoid being thrown off. I begin to question how much that was relevant to multiple situations that I currently find myself in. Is the timing right for anything I find myself in? I have seen someone I think I loved die. I have watched as the man I think I am now in love with murder him. I have somehow found myself at the centre of a werewolf war and I haven't even graduated yet.

Hunter bows to the ground when we reach a clearing.

'Is this the place?' I ask. Hunter shifts back into human form and shakes his head.

'No.'

'Okay.' I turn to face the surrounding trees. I torture myself, constantly thinking I see something lurking in the shadows but it is all in my mind. I know this for certain because if they find us: they won't stay quiet in the shadows for long. Hunter slowly walks over to the stream that cuts through the clearing and begins to wash his face with the water. Is he washing away the blood or is he washing away, or at least attempting to, the things that he had to do to survive tonight?

'Are you okay?' It was hardly even audible to my own ears but it made him freeze. Hunter's back muscles tensed up, his jaw line hardened and his eyes lost meaning. I watch as he quickly splashes another handful of water onto his face.

'Yeah. I'll be fine.' He stands and shakes his hands of the last remaining droplets on his fingers. 'We should continue on.'

'Okay.' I wanted to protest and find out what was truly going on with him. I think about reading his mind but, none of it feels right. None of the way I was using my powers seems right. Hunter and I having sex, no longer feels right. I climb back onto his wolf and once again cling onto his fur as I debate in my mind over what person I need to become to ensure the safety of those who put themselves in danger to protect me.

Slowly we advance into thick forest with trees that no longer feel familiar. I feel out of place. This didn't feel at all close to home. I know that we must be far due to the fact that we have been traveling through the dark and it was now slowly becoming light.

****************************************************

I bet you weren't expecting this to come back. I have decided to try and pick-up where the story left off but you may notice a tonal shift. I hope that is okay. This is only a teaser for more to come, I hope to have the chapter finished by the end of the week but I couldn't help myself to not post what I have written. It was weirdly joyful and cool to go back into a world I left so long ago but remember so well. I hope you feel the same.

Who is hungry for more?