𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

the end of the season were upon them, with the last game being a manchester derby at home. marcus knew it was a must-win game, as it would secure champions league football.

mentally bricking it, he got onto the coach listening to his music, trying to block out any distractions. however, his mind was focusing on anything but the bass rattling in his ears.

soon getting to old trafford, he lightly acknowledged the fans before entering the changing rooms, finding bruno playing some portuguese artist.

the warm-up came and gone quicker than the christmas break, and they were playing good football.

that was, until the inevitable happened.

when defending a corner, marcus accidentally pushed john stones, the barnsley (but his postcode starts with sheffield, therefore he is from sheffield (iykyk)) born lad fell to the floor as if he were an olympic diver. the referee gave a penalty, and marcus didn't have to hear the rowing between the ref and scott.

he didn't have to hear anything.

he didn't have to see the looks of disappointment from the fans in the stands.

he didn't have to imagine the twitter feed he would return to after the game.

he simply stopped thinking. his mind becoming foggy, he walked away from the scene of the crime and went to go get a drink. his manager barking instructions at him, he just nodded and agreed, not hearing a single word his boss had said.

to nobody's surprise, man city scored, causing manchester to be painted with oasis' wonderwall and sky blue.

the rest of the game dragged on, and sparks flew in the dire moments of the game. with antony martial down and a free-kick initially given - before var had a say in the situation - a penalty had been awarded.

marcus, wanting to redeem himself and also the penalty taker after bruno who had been substituted, he got the ball from one of the academy players.

marcus stepped up to the occasion, his brain filled to the brim with insecurities and questioning his abilities, desperately trying to get into his penalty routine. but he just couldn't do it; it was impossible.

he ran up, looking at where he was going to kick it, and the goalkeeper saved it.

the final whistle blew, the score 1-0 to the blue side, and the reason they didn't get the any points and champions league was because of him.

nobody else.

only marcus rashford.