Chapter XXXVII

“Sirius!”

            Lana and Sirius, still leaning against the railing, staring at the changing staircases intently, both turned, their wands swinging up defensively.

            Regina backed up, her hands moving up as if to ward them off. “Hey! It’s just me!”

            Relief flooding through her, Lana brought down the wand and saw Sirius do the same.

           She glanced around worriedly. “Have you seen Severus?”

            “Not since this morning, no,” Sirius responded, “Why? Haven’t you seen him? You are his wife, after all.”

            She bit her lip. “I was looking for him. He should’ve been waiting for me. But he wasn’t.”

            “He betrayed the Death Eaters,” Sirius said, “He’s probably either in the middle of fighting them or hiding from them. Don’t freak out.”

            “What about Albus? Have you seen him?”

            “Only once since we arrived,” Lana replied, “He wiped out a bunch of Death Eaters.”

            “But he should’ve come straight here once the doors were opened,” Reginasaid, her eyes flashing with anxiety. “With Severus. They both should’ve been here, and Cedric too—do you have any idea where any of them are?”

            “Darling,” Sirius said in his most calming voice, though it was tainted with slight aggravation, “This is a war. People can’t exactly just stop fighting so they can go meet someone by the Grand Staircase. They fight until they can manage to make it there.”

            Regina bit her lip. “But Severus—”

            “Is standing behind you,” Sirius interrupted, his head jerking towards her. Lana and Reginaboth looked and saw Snape hurrying towards them, his wand out.

            “Where is everyone?” he demanded breathlessly, “They should’ve been here by now.”

            “We were just wondering the same thing,” Regina replied, rushing up to him and throwing her arms around his neck. “You scared me.”

            “I’m fine,” he said, sounding slightly embarrassed that she would worry about him. Lana rolled her eyes and turned to Sirius. “Are we supposed to go on without them?”

            “You, Reginaand Snape should,” Sirius replied, “I’ll wait here for Cedric and Dumbledore.”

            “I’m not going to search the castle without you,” Lana said with a tone of finality. “I won’t know where I’m going, and I’ll get lost, and I’ll probably get caught.”

            Sirius glowered. “I wish you’d just do what you’re told without arguing about it.”

            A smile crept across her cheeks. “You sound like my dad.”

            “I suppose you never listened to him, either, then?”

            “Sorry to interrupt,” Snape said, his voice raised, “But it might be a good idea to separate now before the Death Eaters realize we’re here.”

            “Someone needs to be here when the others arrive,” Sirius said, “You and Regina need to go. Lana and I’ll wait here.”