Chapter XXV

Cedric blinked. "What?"

            "You asked me where I'm from," Lana said, "You questioned my accent. I told you that my parents were from Manhattan. I am, too. My parents moved me here because I was really bad... I'm just a nasty person, okay?"

            "I can't see you being bad," Cedric said.

            "I was," she insisted, "In fact, my parents were sending me to live with my aunt and uncle because they couldn't stand to have to deal with me anymore. You know where my aunt and uncle lived?"

            He shook his head slowly, staring at her uncertainly.

            "Kensington. And days ago I was standing in their house in Kensington with my parents next to me after getting off a plane from New York."

            "But planes don't exist-"

            "In your world," Lana interrupted, "But not even a week ago your world was nothing... I guess it was just a secret from the muggles like it used to be here. But something happened and suddenly the entire world was completely flipped around and I ended up here."

            Cedric stared at her. "Lana, I think you need to lie down." 

            "I'm not crazy," she insisted, "I'm telling you the truth."

            "If everything you've said is true, then how is this possible?" he demanded, "How did the world suddenly 'flip' without the rest of us noticing?"

            "I don't know," Lana replied, "I don't. But I'm serious. Everything is just as confusing to me as it is to you."

            "Maybe I should call Andromeda," Cedric suggested, standing up. "You need some ice or something-"

            Lana grabbed his hand. "I'm not crazy."

            "You're confused. There isn't any other world besides this one."

            "Then maybe this is a parallel universe or something!" she exclaimed, "I don't know! All I know is that I'm telling you the truth and you have to believe me!"

            "Lana-"        

            "Get all the others," she interrupted, "The Order, the refugees... tell them all to come in here. They need to hear this as much as you do."

            "Lana-"

            "Just do this, okay? Pretend you believe me for the ten minutes it'll take for me to explain my story and then judge me."

            He sighed. "Alright."

            "Thank you." Lana stood up and rushed to the door, swinging it open.

            The crowd that had been leaning against the door jumped back with a gasp, staring at Lana in shock.

            "I'm guessing you heard all that," Lana said, "Get inside." She stepped aside and stared them down until they finally walked into the drawing room, glancing back occasionally.

            Cedric hurried past her up the stairs, calling, "Everybody get into the drawing room!"

            Lana grinned and stepped to the staircase, calling as she climbed down them, "Everybody, into the drawing room!"

            "What?" Lexi asked as she, Jesse and Kendra appeared in the hallway, a few other refugees behind them.

            "Tell everybody you see to get into the drawing room," Lana said, "It's extremely important."     

            "What happened to your date?"

            "Don't ask questions. Just go!"

            Lexi made a face but nodded and rushed up the stairs past Lana, the others following, their eyes catching on Lana as they went.

            Lana stepped into the kitchen across from the stairs and found Regina, Snape, Sirius, Andromeda, Remus, and Dumbledore there.

            "Lana!" Sirius greeted, "Dinner end so soon? I can honestly say it lasted longer than I thought it would-"

            "Everybody get into the drawing room," Lana said, "I need to tell you all something."

            Andromeda looked startled. "What is it?"

            "When everybody's in the drawing room, I'll tell you," Lana replied, "Just get up there, okay?"

            "If something's wrong-" Sirius began.

            "Go!" Lana interrupted.

            With a final stare at her, they all hurried out.

            After clearing the basement, she met Cedric outside the drawing room.

            "Everybody's inside," he said. Looking around quickly, he put a hand on her arm. "I want you to answer me honestly; should I believe you?"

            Lana nodded in reply. "You should. That doesn't necessarily mean that you will."

            He sighed as she stepped inside and followed behind her.

            The drawing room was suddenly full of people, all whispering nervously. When she entered, they silenced and stared at her.

            "You're all wondering why I had you come here," Lana said, "I know you've been sort of confused about me. All my questions and such...

            "The thing is, I've been asking questions not because I don't remember, but because I don't know. I'm not from this world.

            "A few days ago, my parents brought me to London from Manhattan. I was supposed to move in with my aunt and uncle. I ran away and partied and got drunk... and when I came home, I didn't want to face them, so I followed this guy around for awhile.

            "I ended up getting totally lost. He led me to this place called the Ministry of Magic. It was amazing, like nothing I'd ever seen before. I assumed everything was just a trick of my imagination; that my drunken mind was playing games with me. Now I know that it was all actually magic. The man led me into this place called the Department of Mysteries and to this room full of snow globes."

            "Snow globes?" Sirius asked incredulously.

            "That's what they looked like," Lana replied, "I don't know what they really were. That's not the point though. The man took one of the snow globes and did something to it; cast some sort of spell or something. Then there was this huge explosion that knocked me backwards and I hit my head and passed out. When I woke up, the hall was empty, and I found my way back through the floor and when I got back to the Atrium, everybody was treating me like an animal.

            "What I'm saying is that the man I was following did something," Lana concluded, "He flipped the world so the wizards are dominant and the muggles are nothing. I don't know how he did it, but he did."

            They all stared at her intently. Some looked disheartened, others disgusted, but most just looked shocked.

            I never should've told them, Lana thought, I knew they'd think I'm crazy.