Chapter 37: Sad Stories Only Make You Sadder

A/N

Guys it's a friggin miracle! I finished this goddamn chapter!
It's probs not the best and I'm sorry about that but this means my book is DONE!!!

So
My friend is going to be editing this and I'm gonna post it as a new book so if u want to suggest a title than pls do
This book'll stay tho so enjoy :)

< 💣 B POV 💣 >

Jackson leaned against a tree covering his face with his hands. Blood seeped out from multiple cuts on his body and I slowly tore his shirt into strips to use for bandages. I had a large claw cut in my right bicep that needed tending to as well as less-bleeding wounds on my neck, torso and thighs.

Jackson sighed. "I should probably explain" he said glumly.

"Yes you should fucking explain!" I exclaimed. He could hardly expect me to almost fight him, or an obviously-alternate version of him, to the death and not require an explanation.

"Here goes" he muttered, sighing again. He took a deep breath and began.

"I was 12 when it happened but the issues started way before then. When I was 4 there was a set of kidnappings. The Teaery Kidnappings are not a common household name due to an extensive coverup, but most Alphas and Betas are aware of them because most Alphas and Betas were affected by them.

"Dr Teaery was a well-respected researcher 20 years ago before he mysteriously disappeared on a research expedition. Assumed dead, no one really cared about what had become of him and the knowledge he possessed until young werewolf children began turning up dead, in various states of dissection. All of these kids were nobodies, but it was concerning nonetheless.

"Later it would be found that Teaery had spent years of his research career attempting to locate the source and purpose of the wolf. It was unknown at the time but Teaery had found it and ran away with the information. Under any other circumstances, this information could have been used to prevent wolf related deaths, particularly those caused by rejection, but Dr Teaery had other ideas. A traditional man, he held the views that we should not make it easier for the weak and rejected to survive. Instead, he wished to create a race of dominant male wolves who would strengthen the bloodline, weasel out the unworthy, and take the mate the moon goddess intended them to, despite their human or mate's wishes.

"Teaery's dream led him to experiment on children. He had decided children were the perfect candidates as their wolves were not yet fully formed and would therefore respond best to tampering. He knew that his subjects would have to be males as he was conforming to traditional societal roles. He had tried to make females submissive but found this more difficult than upping the dominance of males. Finally, after many failed surgeries, he realised that he would have to use Alphas and Betas as their bloodlines caused them to have a natural survival instinct to protect the pack. This meant it was more likely for them to survive the operation.

"This is where I come in. I was a young, male Alpha, perfectly suited for Teaery's purposes. So I, like many other young boys between the ages of 2 and 10 was kidnapped. It's not like the operation wouldn't work on any alpha or beta male below the age of 16, it was just that the younger they were, the easier they were to kidnap and the less likely they were to fight.

"Me and Tom were caught at the same time. We playing in a clearing in the forest when we were shot with tranquillisers

"We spent over a year in the Teaery compound. I was only 6 when I was first there, and the compound was found and Teaery killed, two weeks before my eighth birthday.

"It wasn't that bad, really. We got good food and housing, and we were allowed to play with the other children. I had many friends because in the first few months, Teaery was still perfecting the process, meaning my original friends were all murdered. Later on, kids, including me, would disappear for about a month for surgery and recovery.

"I think the surgery hurt a little bit but he used anaesthetics and other drugs so it was fine too. In the weeks that followed, I was weaker than usual but they had established some rehabilitation exercises and the whole thing for me went smoothly. We missed my family, friends and pack, of course, but we were not mistreated in anyway.

"Thankfully, Tom was never operated on as we were rescued before Teaery had the chance.

"My issue with The Teaery Kidnappings was not what happened during them, but the after-effects. Because none of the subjects had gotten their wolves yet, no one knew if Teaery's operations had been successful. They had. He had not succeeded in modifying our wolves, instead he had given us a third consciousness – a second wolf as such. You know mine as the monster.

"I found out I had the monster when I shifted at age 12. Everyone whose operations were successful shifted 4 years earlier than usual. It wasn't that bad although He, the monster, caused me to be more angry and dominant than usual which didn't really affect me.

"However, just before my 13th birthday, Teaery's sympathisers attempted to kidnap both me and my younger brother Carter while we were playing in the forest. Because of Him, when we were attacked, I just snapped. He took over and attacked everyone. He killed everyone.

"Including Carter."

Jackson broke down crying and I had no idea what to do. I wasn't aware that Jackson ever had a brother, let alone that he had murdered him. I just kind of stayed where I was as Jack bawled his eyes out. After that, he carried on.

"I knew what the monster would do when I found my mate. He would be cruel and unloving, only wanting her so he could mate with her to produce an heir to the alpha line. He wouldn't let her have her own life, she would be exactly where he told her to be, all the time. That's why I rejected you. Because I didn't want that for you. I didn't want you to be tied back to an over-protective, controlling jerk."

I was shocked. It turned out that Jackson actually really cared for me. He would have been a great mate if it wasn't for the monster. The monster truly was a monster for me and would be for his second chance mate. Unless he managed to get rid of it, which he obviously didn't think was possible.

When I began to think about it, Jackson had exactly described Xander's actions. The possessiveness and controlling nature embodied my first mate.

"Jack?" I questioned cautiously. "Did you know someone called Xander while you were with Teaery?"

"Yes" he replied and I felt my heart plummet. If Jackson had the same condition that Xander had, there was no hope. No matter how hard I had tried to fix Xander, I couldn't.

There was no way for me and Jackson to be together.