01.

J O A N N A

Joanna Haynes wrapped her coat tighter around her body and picked up her pace towards her destination. The bell above the door dinged as she pushed it open and walked into the warm and lowly lit cafe where she was supposed to meet her best friend, Kay Collins.

School was canceled today due to the thick snow piling on the roads, so the two girls decided to meet up for coffee at Laurie's Cafe. The owner, Laurie, was a kind-hearted old woman who knew Joanna and Kay well as they frequented here after school.

Shaking out her snow flecked hair, Joanna blew warm breath into her hands to heat them up and walked over to the table where Kay was waving her over from. The two had much to catch up on according to Kay (even though they were together yesterday), who launched right into the latest gossip concerning some people and activity from school that Joanna didn't bother to really listen to. Her senses were soon overwhelmed with the strong scent of coffee that was placed before her.

"Thanks," Kay stopped what she was saying to tell the scrawny looking waiter that quickly scrambled away. Joanna knew why the boy was jumpy in Kay's presence; she looked as if she walked right off a photo shoot with her light hazel eyes and olive skin making her look almost glowing.

Joanna always thought she paled in comparison with her mousy hair contrasting her gray-blue eyes and her short 5'3" frame. But she could easily pass for Kay's sister. The two have been best friends, not to mention inseparable, since they first met when they were little. Joanna told Kay everything and vice versa which explains why Kay wasn't thrown off when Joanna began staring at her hand as if it just changed. And to Johanna, it had in a way.

She could still see her hand that was holding the steaming cup of coffee, but on top of it, almost as if it were an over layer on an edited photograph, Joanna saw someone else's hand writing. Homework or something else she had no clue, but if she focused hard enough she could see the other hand, that belonged to a male, tighten its grip on the pencil.

As weird as it sounds, Joanna was used to this. Well, that's not quite the right term because neither of the girls knew what this was. All they knew was that sometimes Joanna seemed to be able to see from someone else's eyes and she had no control over it. And it was always the same person. A male. But she had never see his face, only his hands or whatever he was doing (and occasionally a feeling or strange vibe), which struck Joanna as weird. The whole thing was weird but as time passed, the whole being-able-to-see-through-someone-else's-eyes thing didn't affect her as much as it used to.

"You okay, Jo?" Kay usually asked something along those lines when this happened, like just now, to make sure nothing strange - even more strange - happened.

"Uh, yeah. All good." Joanna looked up at Kay, smiling slightly to assure her it was no big deal and Kay took that as a sign to continue on with her talking.

Joanna tried to get her mind off the guy's hand and the tense vibe she felt when she saw the translucent image by actually listening to Kay's fast paced monologue. When Kay was out of breath and pausing for a sip of coffee, Joanna took the chance to look around the cafe and wave to Laurie.

"Dammit."

"What?" Joanna swiveled around to face Kay thinking she was the one who just spoke.

"What?"

Joanna's mouth dropped ever so slightly that if you weren't looking close enough, you would never know anything was wrong. But something was wrong. Kay's mouth didn't move and unless the two girls could now communicate telepathically in such a way that Kay's voice sounded male, Joanna knew it wasn't her best friend speaking. The only problem: she didn't know who was speaking.