Chapter 8

"Dinner smells amazing, Mrs. Harvey. " Aurora said. June had prepared oxtail ragu with semolina gnocchi. "Thank you, Aurora! But call me June," she said. Aurora took a bite of her food and her eyes instantly rolled to the back of her head, "You put your foot in this June!" she smiled.

"Remind me to give you the recipe before y'all leave," June said.

"So mom, after dinner maybe you could show me some of your art," Ace said. June stopped eating, "HUH?"

"Dad said you had an art studio in the basement." Her face became puzzled as she looked over towards Theodore.

"I haven't even seen any yet, she treats her art like her personal diary," Theodore laughed.

"Oh, I understand then! Whenever you're ready mom!" Ace smiled.

"How long have you two been dating?" Theodore asked to change the subject.

"About eight mon..." Aurora was about to say before she was interrupted by Ace.

"We're just friends," Ace said.

"Oh, I didn't know that!" Aurora said looking at Ace.

"I'm sorry, I just assumed!"

"No...It's okay," Aurora said.

After dinner Aurora volunteered to clean the kitchen. "Your parents are great!" she said as she cleared the table.

"For now!" he answered honestly.

She went back to cleaning the table but stopped a couple of seconds later, "Ace, if you don't want to be in a relationship with me then why am I meeting your parents?"

Ace sighed, "You begged me to come!"

"Wow," she squinted her eyes at him. "You're really an asshole Ace! I care about you and you're just stringing me along because I begged you? Is that it?"

"I didn't say that Aurora!"

"You didn't have to! Your actions shows your true feelings!"

Ace didn't say anything. She shook her head, "You know what, we can leave tomorrow then. Just make up a lie and say I became sick!"

While Ace and Aurora was arguing, Theodore was already scoping out his new victim.

"Aurora is very beautiful," he said licking his lips. "Honey please, I know Ace wouldn't had brought her here if it wasn't serious between them." June said moisturizing her skin for bed.

He turned towards her, "Ace doesn't want that girl, he made that clear at dinner."

"What about Jean?" she questioned. "We can't have two women in the basement!" Mr. Harvey hasn't been in the basement in months,so, June was the one taking care of Jean.

Theodore thought about all the good times he had with Jean, how she made him feel young again. At one point, he thought about leaving June for Jean until she broke his rules. "Jean was my favorite girl but I think her time is over with," he said sadly.

June sat on the edge of her bed and placed her head into her hand, "We can't keep doing this! Let's just let her go and go on the run. We have enough money!"

"June are you fucking stupid!" he snapped.

"We have been in this together for a long time and now you wanna get soft! I promise you, if you fucked this up for me, you're gonna end up in a body bag!" he growled.

June was speechless, all she could do is lay in the bed and cry.

When June went to sleep, Theodore checked the cameras on his phone and noticed Aurora wasn't in the bedroom with Ace. When he switched to camera five, Aurora was heading into the kitchen.