4 // Enter Stage Right, Chris Hansen

I eyed Reese with every ounce of skepticism that existed in the universe, brows knitting and the frown that settled on my face threatening to drop off entirely. I blinked a couple times, just to make sure that this wasn't some messed up dream where he would transform into a thousand pound squid with thirty different tentacles, because that was the type of possibility that existed when Reese asked for a truce.

Glancing down at my hands, I counted a solid ten, so at least I was pretty sure I wasn't in a dream.

Noting my doubt, Reese pushed forward the muffin in his hands. "Here, it's like a peace offering. It's chocolate chip, take it."

I scoffed. "Do you think that muffin will protect you?" I cracked my knuckles, the sound flooding between us with a threatening promise.

He eyed my warily. "What kind of monster would hurt a muffin?"

"The kind that is perfectly able to save said muffin while also ripping your intestines from your body and mummifying you with them."

Our eyes met, he was biting the inside of his cheek, and his confidence faltered. I smirked. Good.

"Okay," I snorted, disbelieving. "So you're trying to kill me via muffin poisoning now? There are lines we just don't cross, Powers. Like splashing me with puddles."

He took a tentative step closer. "It was a dick move, I know, I didn't mean it, but I panicked when you called me out. I'm hoping this doesn't change the whole Savannah thing." He punctuated his words with a sheepish shrug.

I fixed with him a deadpan stare. "You think that there's any chance in hell I'd help you? Say, how's the weather in the goddamn Twilight Zone?"

"I know, I know, it was a dumb move. But come on, there's gotta be a way. Just- what do you want? I know there's gotta be something I can help you with, so that you can help me with Savannah." A small smile found his face for reasons that were completely unbeknownst to me.

I laughed, hard and dry and bitter. "You talk as if there ever existed a possibility of that ever happening. Ever. In any dimension, on any planet, in any galaxy. Savannah literally has the pure heart of a golden retriever."

"Okay but-"

"A goddamn golden retriever, Powers," I interrupted, stare hard and denying any further argument from him. An intimidating hand was placed strategically on my hip.

He sighed in surrender, those amber eyes narrowed on me. "All right," he relented and shook his finger at me. "Just know that I'm going to find something that you need help with, and I'm going to give you an offer you can't refuse."

I rolled my eyes. "All right, when you've got a lifetime supply of bacon and you've been exiled out of the continent- then maybe we can talk," I drawled, and swiped the muffin from his hand before turning on my heel.

"I thought you didn't want the muffin?"

I dismissed the question with a wave of my hand, not even bothering to look back. "I'm saving this muffin from Satan's clutches, it is my duty as the saviour of the muffins. Now let's never do this again, I wish you only the worst and goodbye forever."

Sinking my teeth into the gooey chocolate chip goodness, I could feel his intent stare fixed on my back, but brushed it off. I had more important things to worry about, like how much muffin I could stuff in my face before choking from lack of oxygen. Reese was easily pushed to the back of my mind, discarded and forgotten about without a care in the world.