50

Where am I?

Why is it so noisy?

What's that beeping sound?

Yeonseo gathered her strength to open her eyes. She realised she was in a hospital room. The monitor next to her bed was beeping at a calming pace. Her eyes wandered around the room before stopping at the sight of her father sleeping on the couch in the corner of the room.

"Dad..." she called weakly with her quiet voice. Mr Yoon's eyes opened widely at the familiar voice. He jumped off the couch and rushed to the bed, "Yeonseo-yah! You woke up!"

"What happened?" She groaned in pain as she tried to sit up. Mr Yoon instantly helped her by placing a few pillows against her back.

"You almost drowned in the lake behind the palace. Thank God you're safe. You just went into a coma for a while."

"How long?"

"Almost a month."

Her heart dropped at the sudden news.

Did I go into a coma for almost a month?

But when I was in the past, it felt like almost a year.

"Are you okay? You looked horrified at something."

She gave her father a reassuring smile before opening her arms, motioning for him to hug her. He obeyed even when he felt confused. She inhaled the scent that she longed for, "I've missed you. It feels like I haven't seen you for years."

He laughed at the sudden remark, "Why? Did something happen during your coma?"

A lot.

She shook her head, "Nothing. I just wanted to hug you."

"Well then," he grinned, "Welcome back, Yoon Yeonseo."

She almost couldn't remember who Yoon Yeonseo was. She felt like people had referred to her as Kim Yeonseo for almost a year. And she was getting used to it.

🌷

six months later.

"Why are we here?" Yeonseo asked as she watched her father greet his workers. "The company is suddenly having an event at the royal museum. To celebrate our achievements of finding all the artefacts that belonged to the East Kingdom."

She nodded and folded her arms as she looked around. She wandered off to the North Kingdom's section and gasped at the sight of Prince Jay's portrait.

The thought of him smiling at her crossed her mind. She smiled to herself and read his story next to the portrait.

His Majesty, King Jay was said to be the best king of the North Kingdom.

"Glad people liked him," she joked alone. She kept reading until a few sentences caught her attention.

After his wife's death due to the Great War with the South Kingdom, he fell sick and had liver cancer.

His last words were, "I am proud that I could help the people of my kingdom. And I can't wait to be with my wife. Please do not mourn over my death."

"He still wants to be cool even after getting sick," she scoffed and walked to another section. Her heart started racing nervously when she reached the East Kingdom's section.

What surprised her more was when there was a section just for Princess Yeonseo.

The tale of Princess Yeonseo and Lord Yang.

The sign made her heart drop. She immediately rushed to the section and the first thing she saw was her portrait with Jungwon.

So it wasn't a dream?!

It actually happen?

The death of Yeongwon, Heejin and all that... Happened?!

She stared at the portrait, seeing how Jungwon's lips curved into a small smile as he had his hands intertwined with hers. That was the day he died.

She felt tears threatening to come out and suppressed them. She walked further and saw paintings that she did when she was always in the garden.

And then what surprised her the most was when people crowded an area where they placed the memoirs.

They were too invested in reading her and Yeongwon's memoirs. "Hey," a voice called her.

She turned around and saw her father. "Dad," she smiled. "I have to show you something," was all he said before pulling her away from the crowd.

🌷

"What is it that you want to show me?" She asked out of pure confusion. He showed her a memoir that belonged to Jungwon.

She widened her eyes in surprise. She never knew Jungwon kept a memoir. She took the memoir from her father's hands and traced the letters on the cover.

"You can read it and have it for a day. I had asked the museum's permission. All the stories of him and the princess are in here. I know you've always wanted to know what happened."

Her hands trembled and she pulled her father for a hug, trying to hide her tears from him.

"Are you okay, Yeonseo?"

"Yeah."