28

Jungwon sat still in the meeting room as he watched all the other ministers leave. Only Sunoo and Sunghoon were left with him. The King glanced at him worriedly, "Are you okay? You look sick."

The memories of Yeonseo and the prince hugging each other were still clear in his mind. He forced his lips to smile and nodded, "I'm fine, Your Majesty. Thank you for asking."

Sunghoon couldn't hide his smirk and looked at the king, "Your Majesty, there's something I would like to speak to you."

Sunoo and Jungwon gave their attention to him, waiting for him to continue. "I would like to marry Princess Yeonseo," the prince requested.

Jungwon's heart dropped at the sudden announcement. He lowered his head and played with his fingers anxiously. He could feel his heart slowly breaking into pieces.

"I've liked her for years already but I just couldn't find the time to confess my feelings to her. I would like to make her my wife, Your Majesty."

Sunoo clapped his hands happily, "Great! You both would be great for each other. It's about time my sister gets married to a decent prince. And I've known you ever since we were kids. I trust you with her, Sunghoon."

Jungwon exhaled heavily and acted as if he was reading his document. He felt his eyes become teary and tried to blink the tears away. The King excitedly looked at the nobleman, "What do you think, Jungwon-ah?"

He couldn't go against the king and the prince. They both came from a powerful family. He was born into an ordinary noble family that had served the East Kingdom's royal family for generations.

"I agree with whatever your decision is, Your Majesty," he murmured, trying to prevent his voice from trembling.

Sunghoon leaned back against his chair and looked at the poor nobleman out of amusement.

🌷

Yeonseo walked back and forth in the garden, waiting for Jungwon. She held the small note that he left behind the crackers, telling her that he will be back to meet her at the garden. The sky was already purple, signalling that the sun was setting.

Baekhee looked at her apologetically, "Your Highness, he probably has some work to settle. It's getting late. It will get cold."

Yeonseo frowned and looked at her, "He's not coming, is he?"

She sat on the steps of the gazebo and exhaled tiredly. "He would never set me up like this."

"Your Highness, let's think positive. He must be busy."

Yeonseo smiled and let Baekhee help her stand up. They both left the garden and saw Jungwon already near the palace entrance. The princess held her gown and ran towards him, "Jungwon-ah!"

The nobleman stopped at the sound of the familiar voice. The voice he longed to hear after a very rough day. He turned around slowly and looked at her with his blank eyes.

She noticed that his eyes were empty as they looked at hers. There was no glint of love or happiness that she always saw. She grabbed his hand and flinched when he suddenly pushed it away.

"Jungwon-ah, what's wrong?"

He bit his bottom lip to suppress his tears and bowed, "Forgive me, Your Highness, for touching you. I have no right to touch you since I am just an outsider. And not a member of the royal family."

"Yang Jungwon, why are you acting like this?" She asked again, feeling annoyed.

He smiled softly and lowered his gaze, "You should be happy, Your Highness. The King has found a suitor for you. You'll get married to a decent prince that will take care of you. You deserve him more than me."

"What?! Why would I–"

"His Majesty planned to marry you off to Prince Sunghoon. He has liked you for years already. And you shouldn't be involved with a nobleman like me, Your Highness."

He bowed and left her alone with her court lady. Yeonseo burst into tears and sat on the ground. Baekhee immediately held her shoulders, "Your Highness, please be strong."

🌷

Yeonseo slammed Sunoo's bedroom doors open and barged into the room. The king jumped out of shock and put down his book. "Kim Yeonseo! You can't just barge into my room like that!"

Mr Bae stood in front of her, trying to block her from attacking the king. "Mr Bae, get lost. I want to talk to my brother."

The male servant obeyed and lowered his gaze. Yeonseo stared at Sunoo with her puffy red eyes. "Yah, what happened to you?" He asked out of concern.

She couldn't hold back her anger and lunged a punch at his face. Baekhee and Mr Bae gasped in shock, "Your Highness!"

"What the hell is wrong with you, Kim Yeonseo?!"

"You married me off to someone who I don't even love? Can't you even ask for my permission?" She asked as her voice trembled.

"Why are you so mad? It's Sunghoon. You've known him for years already."

"I do not want to get married to him. I fucking hate it! I fucking hate when you control me like this! I hate you!"

He slapped her in the face, "Although I'm your brother, I am still the king. You have no right to be rude and talk to me like that."

"You have no right to marry me off to the man who harassed and threatened me."

"Sunghoon? Threatened you?" He laughed and ran his fingers through his hair, "Stop being nonsensical. Go to sleep and rest your mind, Yeonseo."

"I'm in love with Lord Yang," she muttered under her breath, earning the servants by surprise. Mr Bae widened his eyes and glanced at Sunoo to look at his expression.

"What?"

"The man that I'm in love with is Yang Jungwon. And he's also in love with me. We've been dating secretly because we knew you wouldn't have anything nice to say about our relationship. And he's been treating me so well. Better than how Sunghoon treated me."

"Don't joke around, Yeonseo."

She felt her anger rising in her chest. She felt her jaw starting to clench. "I don't care if you're against this marriage. I'll do anything to not marry the damn prince."

She turned around, "Mr Bae, order the guards to bring Jungwon to my room. I'll spend the night with him."

Sunoo grabbed her arm, "Watch what you say, Yeonseo. If you do that, then you'll have no other choice but to marry Jungwon. Once you sleep with him tonight, you'll lose your title as a princess."

She slapped his hand away, "Do I look like I care about the damn title?"

"But please calm down, Your Highness. I think you're making an irrational decision out of anger," Mr Bae tried to talk her out of it.

"It's an order. Bring him to my room."