Volume 3 - Chapter 20

Ayanokouji's POV

"Ayanokouji-kun, my second favorite student! What took you so long?!" I heard a voice belonging to a troublesome individual coming from behind me. I quickly placed Kanzaki in harm's way — I mean swapped places with him so he would take the brunt of Hoshinomiya-sensei's flying ambush, sending both of them tumbling on the grass. Second favorite, my ass.

"Did you guys see that?"

"Kawarimi no Jutsu!"

"I didn't know you could be that quick, Kiyotaka," Yuki snickered, "Looks like Kanzaki-kun was the casualty this time."

"Ayanokouji, you dick..." Kanzaki groaned from his spot where he laid spread-eagle on the concrete.

"It was an instinctive reflex to an approaching threat that placed my existence in grave danger," I harrumphed, "Be grateful that you were able to save my life, Kanzaki."

"Wait, shouldn't you be the one thanking—"

"Okay~" sensei interrupted, "Amikura-chan, Ayanokouji-kun, Himeno-chan, Ichinose-chan, Kanzaki-kun, and Shibata-kun, I've marked you down as present. You can store your luggage on the bus and get on now. You can sit anywhere you like, so why not sit in the front with me, Ayano—"

"Hai, hai, we'll get on," Yuki started pushing me from behind, "C'mon, Kiyotaka, let's pick out the seats around the middle. I'll even let you have the window seat!"

"We need to revive Kanzaki's corpse—" I remarked, intending to make a beeline for him.

"Class Rep, I'll leave Kanzaki to you and the other two! I'm counting on you!"

"Loud and clear, Himeno-chan!" Ichinose saluted before she received a paper that Amikura handed to her. Like a eulogist, she solemnly orated the prepared speech, "On behalf of Class B, I would like to begin by thanking everyone that is here today and for those that sent their condolences. This year, we have lost our dear Kanzaki-kun—"

"Stop telling everyone I'm dead!" the zombie yelled out in faux-annoyance as Shibata and Amikura tried holding in their laughter. Ichinose pretended to look around before she crumpled the paper into a ball, haphazardly tossing it as she feigned bawling into Amikura, "Sometimes I can still hear his voice!"

As the short skit devolved into a chaotic mess, Yuki and I loaded our suitcases into the luggage bay before we climbed onto the bus. My friend deftly navigated through the aisle before selecting a seat around the middle. Like a valet, she gestured exaggeratedly towards the seat, to which I amusedly played along with her antics. She jokingly held out her palm as if she was expecting payment, so I gently took her hand, flipped it over, and gave it a kiss, "Bacio le mani, tesoro~" I sing-songed in jest before she palmed my face. "Kiyobaka!!!" she shrieked before chuckling, finally sliding into the seat next to me.

Our friends started boarding the bus, Kanzaki and Shibata choosing the seat directly across the aisle, and Ichinose and Amikura the ones in front of us. Ah, I think we chose the wrong seats, given that we'd be in the center of the chatter whether we wanted to or not. I sent a teary look toward Kanzaki, but he decidedly flipped me off and mouthed silently to deal with it before pulling out a light novel to read. I squinted in an attempt to make out the title — "Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e". How interesting. I spotted it in the bookstore the other day, but I decided against buying it. It seemed like Kanzaki was three volumes in. It would probably be best to not disturb him so he would be able to read as much as he could before the bus starts moving. Reading while riding a vehicle is definitely a headache, unfortunately.

I adjusted the window to let the morning breeze waft throughout the bus as I watched the rest of the class lethargically congregate around Hoshinomiya-sensei as she playfully bantered with the more animated bunch and offhandedly poked fun at the more halfhearted ones. Come to think of it, she does seem rather similar to Kushida from Class D while she outwardly appeared like a mature version of Ichinose. An unholy combination of Ichinose's natural charisma and Kushida's two-faced personality. A heart-eater, that one — according to Yuki's music at least. That being said, I wonder how much of her personality is fact and fiction. While I'd be more inclined to think she's simply a toxic person after knowing her a bit, it's likely I haven't scratched the surface regarding her as a person. I doubt this is just her nature — her inclinations may have led her to that disposition, but she may have inadvertently been nurtured into it from past experiences. However, I doubt she'd open up to me, even if I was one of her so-called "favorites".

The students of Class B all finally stored their suitcases inside the luggage bays and started loading onto the bus, their clamorous prattling replacing the much quieter ambiance. Yuki suddenly tapped me on the shoulder, offering me a headphone set to connect to my phone.

"Noise-canceling," she bluntly said before turning to the front to continue gossiping with Ichinose and Amikura. Gratefully, I gave her a single headpat and played my classical music playlist, specifically choosing Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No. 4, Op. 53 in B-flat major for the left hand. Truthfully, it was one of my favorite pieces. It was honestly amazing how such a piece was made to accommodate a pianist with a single arm and sound so beautifully complex.

I calmly absorbed the tune for a few minutes as sensei brought the chatter to a lull before giving instructions about following rules that we all knew that no one would really follow, not even sensei. ...That was the wrong choice of words — thinking "not even sensei" implies that she was a rule-abiding person.

The bus driver started the vehicle and began to follow the bus in front of us to the exit. The conversations of our classmates resumed once again, and I tapped Yuki once to get her to tell Kanzaki to look at his phone. I quickly shot him a text.

[[Kanzaki]]

[Gojira 🦖: When do you think is the best time to ruin everyone else's good mood?]

[Kanzaki: Why do you keep changing your name?]

[Gojira 🦖: Don't ask questions, Kanzaki. Gojira is speaking.]

[Gojira 🦖: Do you really think that this school would offer us a vacation with no strings attached?]

[Kanzaki: 😭]

[Gojira 🦖: We're probably going to have another exam coming soon, likely to take place on the cruise ship. Well, I guess this is just a precaution. We don't need to needlessly disappoint our classmates this early. I think it's best if the majority find out when the exam starts. We can talk it over with Yuki and Ichinose over lunch.]

[Kanzaki: Look, I know you have a sadistic kink, but please don't apply it to our whole class.]

[Gojira 🦖: I'm going to throw you to the Class D-generates again if you don't stop, dragon boy.]

[Kanzaki: Crystal clear, Gojira-sama 😰]

I exited the chat, putting my phone away as the next musical piece played. Yuki tipped her head to her right, resting it on my shoulder. I subconsciously relaxed and started to close my eyes once more.

"I guess I can afford this moment of weakness..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the short chapter, all. It's all I can really afford right now. I personally believe that this fic is the most enjoyable to work on. I know I said I would catch up Route C to this fic, but I don't really feel motivated to. I'll be going under again because final exams begin this coming Friday. Oh, if you haven't read it, please read Slipstream by @Volts1500. It's definitely a treat to read (when they update, wink wink if you're reading this, Volts. Have a good time, all. None of my fics are discontinued, they're just on hold for the time being due to motivation issues and current foci.