Volume 2 - Chapter 13

Ayanokouji's POV

Himeno and I had a quick bite to eat at one of the chicken shops in the food court. I was honestly surprised that chicken shops were apparently serious business. This place was a staple among the students, frequented by both the second and third years who stopped by after their classes at least once a week. The prices were fair enough that they wouldn't even hurt the Class 2-D and 3-D students much if they purchased reasonable orders.

Himeno ordered a flavor of chicken wings called "lemon pepper wet", which were wings covered in clarified butter and buffalo sauce before being tossed in lemon pepper seasoning, while she advised me to get something simple like barbecue wings with freshly cracked black pepper. We both also shared a basket of french fries. It was... interesting, to say the least. Both were especially delicious, providing bold and unique flavor profiles that satisfied our palates.

We actually met with our classmates Hamaguchi and Minamikata midway through our meals, conversing with them after they received their orders and came to our table.

"Tch," Minamikata clicked her tongue, "It's such a pain that Class C and D got everyone into their mess."

"Eh, I would have thought you'd have more sympathy for Class D considering what some of Class C said to Amikura," Hamaguchi queried her.

"Normally I would, but what that Sudou kid did was strange," Minamikata sighed, "How are you holding up, Ayanokouji-kun?"

"I'm doing alright for the most part. I already notified the dormitory receptionist about the strange occurrence, so they already retrieved the keys from the Class D students. I don't have anything to worry about for now," I said.

"Are you two going to help search for witnesses?" Himeno whispered to them.

"Yeah, even though I don't really want to," Hamaguchi said in a hushed tone, "It feels sort of like an obligation. Minamikata-san on the other hand is just participating because she has a grudge against Manabe," to which Minamikata nodded.

"Yeah, she's a total bitch. She gon' learn if her class takes another hit to their class points,"

"What happened in class after we left?" I asked, "Did everyone else agree to help Class D?"

"Yeah. As soon as you gave your consent, Ichinose was able to round up everyone else to find witnesses. She's probably going to meet with the leaders of Class D soon," Hamaguchi said.

As expected. Even though she hasn't gotten everyone, Ichinose was able to get the others to fall in line rather easily. From Hamaguchi's words, students felt like it was necessary to follow her orders just like that. An obligation, hm? It seems like eventually, the class will lose their individuality in favor of the collective. That guy who I still don't know the name of definitely will be useful for the class, in the end. Apoptosis. However, it is important to get them to regain some of their individuality while their solidarity remains robust like steel. Acquiescing to the goals of the commanders, yet being able to solve complex problems in their own ways. It would be necessary for their growth as people.

I looked up at the three who had weird looks on their faces. "Is there something wrong?"

The three snapped out of their stupor and sighed. Minamikata tapped something on her phone before all our phones dinged. Ah. So she sent a picture of me thinking in the class group chat. Interestingly, I received a text from a certain someone. I sighed.

"Yuki, I have to go do something," I stood up, excusing myself, "See you two later."

I gave them all a wave before I left the chicken shop and the mall.