Chapter 3: Jack Kelly's POV

After I finished selling papers for the day, instead of heading back upstairs onto my penthouse, I decided that I wanted to relax in the chair near the fireplace, so I grabbed my art book from the penthouse and sat down in the seat. I was peacefully drawing in my art book until I noticed Racer, Albert, and Finch walking toward me.

"What do you want, Racer?", I asked him in a very defeated voice. Since all of the boys hate me and don't trust me anymore, they all decided that Racer was the better leader than me, so they made him the official leader of the Manhattan Newsies, which he would constantly remind me off whenever he gets the chance to.

"I want you to get your ass out of my seat because you are in it"

"Sorry, but I was already here much earlier than you were, besides there are plenty of other seats in here. so why don't you just sit in another one and leave me alone?". Ok, maybe that sounded a little bit too harsh, but all I wanted was to just relax, draw in my artbook, and be left alone. Was that too much to ask for?

Apparently, what I had said to Race was the wrong thing to say because before I knew it, Albert and Finch grabbed me and pinned me against the wall, which made me drop my art book onto the floor in the process.

"What is it with you and this stupid little art book for yours", he asked as he picked up my art book from the floor.

"Race! Don't touch that! Leave it alone!", I tried to run toward Race, so I could grab my book away from him, but Finch punched me in the stomach, which caused me to double over in pain.

"Oh, I see that it has some importance to you"

"Race? What are you going to do with it?", I asked in a very worried voice.

"Something that traitors like you deserve to have happen to them". After he said that, Race broke the book in half, then tore out each page one by one.

"No! Race, please!", I shouted out as I tried to free myself from Albert's and Finch's grips, but both of them punched me in the stomach and kept their grips on me. There was nothing that I could, but watch Race destroy the one thing that I had of my mother. Then, he threw the remains of the book into the fireplace, then the book was burned into seconds. "No!", I cried out as I collapsed onto the ground.

"Oh, is Jack the little coward going to cry? You're even more pathetic than I originally thought", Race taunted me. Suddenly, I felt that blind fit of rage as I immediately lunged toward Race and punched him in the face.

Before I could do anymore damage toward him, Albert and Finch roughly pulled me away from him, then proceeded to beat me up until I collapsed toward the ground.

The other boys, who all walked in after I punched Race and most likely assumed that I started the fight, joined in and I started to lose consciousness. Before everything completely turned black, the last thing that I saw was Crutchie handing his crutch to Race and him lifting it over his head.