𝐕𝐈. 𝐍𝐏𝐂𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐂𝐮𝐭𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐬

Matt squirmed uncomfortably in his seat. He wasn't quite sure whether it was because he was squished up against the side of the car or the fact that he now inhabited the body of a woman. Where any other teenage boy may have been curious about their new form, Matt refused to look himself over. His father had taught him respect, but the reason was more in fear that his father was somewhere watching him despite him knowing the opposite.

The driver looked over his shoulder at Spencer who sat in the passenger seat. "Dr. Bravestone. Famed archaeologist and international explorer. Known across the seven continents for your courageous exploits."

"Is there a seat belt?" Spencer asked.

"I can't tell you what an honor it is to finally meet you." The driver again glanced over at Spencer. "And I'm not embarrassed to say you're even more dashing in person."

"Thanks."

"Who are you?" Martha asked from her seat behind Spencer.

"Nigel Billingsly at your service." The driver finally introduced himself. "Ruby Roundhouse, killer of men. Welcome to Jumanji. I've been so anxious for your arrival. As you know, Jumanji is in grave danger. We're counting on the six of you to lift the curse."

"Curse?" Matt raised an eyebrow and asked, "What curse?"

"Ah, Dr. Leslie Oberon," Nigel chuckled, "How lucky we are to have a medic of your expertise with us. Welcome to Jumanji—"

"Excuse me," Bethany interrupted him, "Have you seen my phone anywhere?"

"Professor Sheldon Oberon. Welcome to Jumanji. Nigel Billingsly at your service. I've been so anxious for your arrival."

"What's with this guy?" Roni asked.

"I think he's an NPC," Spencer replied.

"A what?" Bethany requested, "English, please."

"A non-player character. He's part of the game," Spencer explained, "So anything we ask him, he only has his programmed series of responses."

"Got it. It's all clear now." Fridge rolled his eyes.

"Franklin 'Mouse' Finbar. Welcome to Jumanji."

"It's Moose." Fridge frowned. "It's not Mouse."

"No, good sir," Nigel chuckled as he corrected Fridge, "I'm quite sure it's Mouse."

"Mouse?" Fridge glared at Spencer.

"A nickname given for your diminutive stature and adorable manner," Nigel explained, "I knew you'd be here. Dr. Bravestone doesn't go anywhere without his trusty sidekick."

"Sidekick?"

"Ever since Dr. Bravestone rescued you from the clutches of a warlord in the jungles of Peru, you've never left his side."

"Right." Fridge nodded his head, still frowning.

"Can we go back to the curse thing?" Spencer asked.

"It's all documented in the letter I sent you, Dr. Bravestone," Nigel suggested, "Perhaps you should read it aloud."

"I don't have a let—" Spencer stopped as he looked down to see the letter in his hand. He cleared his throat and began to read it out loud. "Dr. Bravestone, I am writing to you regarding the desperate situation in Jumanji."

Suddenly, his voice changed as if Nigel was reading the letter.

"We need your help at once."

Their environment changed to fit the description of the letter.