15

a few days past but you haven't heard anything from rodrick. you wanted to text him, although he was probably busy or grumpy as always.

you really weren't in the mood to go to school... nothing specific upset you, just the thought of going out.

as soon as you stepped foot out of the house, you heard rodrick's van start. you ignored it, seeing rodrick didn't offer to give you a ride, and quickly headed to school.

you watched rodrick drive past you, his elbow hanging from his window. he gave you a quick glance as he drove by but quickly looked away, praying you didn't see him.

weirdo... your thoughts blurred your mind as you walked in your first class, feeling rather hurt by how rodrick acted this morning.

not surprised... you thought as you clicked your pen, your literature teacher endlessly blabbering about someone's deep poem.

"so, what the poet is trying to tell us is...?" your teacher walked around the class, looking for one of the sleepy students to explain for her.

"the guy killed himself because no one would care enough to count his emotions..." you mumbled as the teacher looked at you in awe.

"what??" she spoke, your classmates laughing at her dumbfounded reaction.

"the boy needs comfort" you added, watching your teacher walk away, nodding.

the bell rang after a few moments of silence, embarrassment flooding in your mind along with the thought of seeing rodrick at lunch.

"emo ass" you felt a heavy hand pat your back, snapping you out of your thoughts.

you looked up to the familiar voice, a certain someone's smirk making your lips melt into a dorky smile.

"missed me?" rodrick chuckled at the rare sight, making you quickly look away and stand up.

"shut up... what's up with you?" you spoke as you and rodrick walked out of your class.

he gave you a quick glance, staying quiet for a while. Heather passed by you and you felt rodrick's arm quickly wrap around your shoulder, Heather rolling her eyes at you.

"um...okay. what's up with her?" you looked up at rodrick, your eyes meeting for a second before he pulled his arm away.

"maybe she's jealous you're so h-" rodrick smirked, his friends cutting his sentence short.

"we got pizza" they danced around the table, dragging rodrick from beside you.

you turned to leave for another table when Chris pulled you by your wrist, seating you next to rodrick.

you didn't think much of it as it was the only seat available, until Ben and Chris started "whispering" to each other.

"aren't they good together?"
"look at them"
"so cute"

you and rodrick looked at each other before giving the two weirdos a stern look, making them stop immediately.

---

you didn't talk much with rodrick after lunch. the boys walked you to you next class and you said your goodbyes.

still, there was something about him that you found odd. the way he acted, the way he expressed himself...

he was far more reserved than he normally is, much more introverted... you've never seen that side of rodrick and it made your heart drop.

not knowing what's wrong meant you can't do anything to help or comfort him... would he even let you comfort him?

would he ever lay his head on your lap and talk it out?

would he ever rest his head on your chest and cry it out?

would he ever trust you enough?

would he let you hug him?

even if he did, what the fuck would that mean then?

nothing... why would it mean anything?

the bell rang and the teacher dismissed your class. you walked quietly past everyone and got out on the sidewalk, ready to make your way home.

you hesitated, looking around almost as if you were trying to find someone in the crowd.

stop what the fuck... you thought as you finally started walking home, leaving rodrick trying to find you, but you were nowhere to be seen.

---

"hey y/n look" your sister came running in your bedroom, holding up your phone.

you sat up on your bed, rubbing your sides. you could hear people in the living room, your head already starting to stir up.

you grabbed your phone from your sister's s hands, noticing the countless notifications.

(×××-×××-×××)
3 missed calls

you sighed and put your phone aside. your sister informed you about some guests before running off and you quickly got up from your bed.

you slipped some sweatpants under your black oversized t-shirt and fixed your hair a bit, heading to the living room.

"oh, y/n say hi" you looked around at the familiar faces as your sister sat back on her prince's lap, eating happily.

"hi Mrs heffley, hi Mr heffley... Greg..." you looked around, your eye catching Manny sitting next to rodrick.

"hi baby..." you picked Manny up as he giggled his heart out.

while everyone went back to eating, you felt a gentle grip on your shirt's sleeve. your first thought would be Manny but as you put the toddler down, rodrick stopped you.

"hi heffley" you gave him a soft smile but he stayed silent, his gaze rather melancholic.

"I called you" he spoke quietly.

"oh... I'll save your number. did you nee-" your mum cut you off, announcing dessert.

your sister jumped right off rodrick's lap, hitting his jaw in the process. you couldn't help but let out a chuckle, rodrick's expression quickly making you stop.

"can we talk?" he whispered, almost as if he'd break if he talked louder.

you quickly nodded and looked around, rodrick getting up to follow you to your bedroom.

"I'm not hungry" you spoke, leading rodrick by his wrist.

"I'm full" rodrick yelled and closed the door behind him.