1

it's a cold Wednesday morning. no birds chirping, no sweet good mornings... just y/n running around the house, cussing out loud.

of course, no one was home to hear you.

you were late for school, your little sister was already on her way to school and your parents left for work a while ago.

the neighborhood wasn't quiet either. cars beeping, parents yelling, babies screaming... that 6-year-old kid yelling across the street.

"you can't get on your brother's car honey, he's already late for school" his mom said, calmly.

but you didn't have time for this... after all, you were late too. as you watched the familiar white van drive off, you couldn't help but daydream...

why can't that asshole just take me in his car on days like these... I can't be late for school again.

"prick" you cussed under your breath, knowing it wasn't his fault.

you didn't even know each other, let alone talk.

as you kept hastily walking on your way to school, the cold breeze hitting your face even though the sun was out, a car slowed down beside you, honking a few times.

the driver poked his head out of the vehicle's window, grinning politely.

"good morning Mr Heffley" you quickly blurted out, completely sure you were going to miss the first period.

one thing you knew about Mr Heffley, he was very kind... too kind... and very talkative, which pissed you off for no apparent reason.

you were expecting a whole greeting speech from Mr Heffley but instead, you received a joyful scream from that little prick that was crying dramatically a few moments ago.

"MY GIRL" the toddler screeched. he didn't know your name, or how to pronounce it, but you knew he had a special liking toward you.

"get in, we'll drive you to school" Mrs Heffley chuckled and before you could answer, a tiny hand grabbed your sleeve, pulling you in the car.

you eventually got in the car, another boy and his friend scooting over to make room for you.

you didn't know everyone's names, just the family's surname. when your families met and had dinner together a while ago, you skipped everything.

no reason needed, you just didn't think meeting the neighbors would benefit you.

as Mr Heffley drove everyone to school, you heard a scoff coming from beside you.

"what is it, Gregory?" Mrs Heffley spoke.

but 'Gregory' didn't answer.

next thing you knew, a toddler was crawling all over him, attempting to get closer to you.

the drive was quiet, calm. little Manny decided to sit on your lap, hugging you tightly, occasionally resting his head on your chest.

you didn't mind it, although most of the time it makes you uncomfortable, you needed the extra body heat.

...

you finally reached your destination, getting out of the car with Gregory following behind you.

the little prick was still clung to you tightly as you attempted to get him off, only for him to get more comfortable holding onto you.

as Gregory walked into the school, you held the toddler up properly, hoping you'd have a chance to put him down in the car again.

he immediately grabbed your cheeks, pulling and playing with them. then he gently pulled your piercings, making you wince and groan as he looked at them in awe.

how embarrassing...

you thought, chuckling along with his parents. you almost didn't notice the white van rushing in the school parking lot, but you shook it off.

he's driving like crazy but still arrived after us...

you decided to cut the playdate short and leaned down to put the toddler back in his seat.

"see you, my girl" he happily spoke, earning a big smile from his mom and a quiet "yeah" from you.

you didn't know why he liked you so much... Gregory said he finds your piercings interesting, but you still were unsure.

you ignored the teen confronting his parents in front of you about still being on school grounds and "embarrassing him by letting Manny play around"

he glanced at you as you walked into the school, his parents wishing you a nice day from afar.

...

everyone walked out of the classroom as soon as the bell was heard.

you left the classroom last, avoiding the crowd that accumulated in front of the door as the students tried to squeeze past each other.

you didn't notice Ben Segal waiting outside your classroom, following you with his eyes as you passed by him.

"hey, uh... you" he spoke, grabbing your attention.

"hey, um... Ben?" you asked, hoping you didn't embarrass yourself.

he nodded and started walking next to you, talking about his day.

I don't even know you, dude...

"so, then you came out of their car... just so you know, me and rodrick are best buddies. you can tell me" he smiled.

"tell you what?" you looked at him, not paying attention to where you were walking.

"come on... are ya dating?" he nudged your shoulder and you stopped walking.

"dating who?" you asked.

you probably sounded really dumb by now... but it wasn't your fault.

"rodrick... come on, don't act dumb" he smirked.

"I don't know any rodrick... oh." you connected the dots, finally realizing who Ben was talking about.

"oh??" Ben got a bit excited, thinking he'd get the answer he was waiting for since this morning.

"don't you think he'd drive me in his van if I was his girlfriend? I don't even know the dude" you chuckled at his surprised face, starting to walk again.

"but..." he started to speak quietly but you cut him off.

"they're my neighbors. that little boy Manny loves me. I'd have more chances with Manny than with rodrick" you said, trying to sound convincing.

it was the truth, after all.

"yeah... that's true" he said and left to find his table.

ouch, so straightforward.

you thought as you walked over to an empty, small table, sitting alone on your phone for the rest of the lunch period.