CHAPTER 68

He kept looking into the bright eyes, lost in the exuberance of the woman he had longed so much to meet. The past twenty years had not changed her much, just the crease that was gliding towards the sides of her face. Despite the age, her chocolate skin was almost radiating like that of a baby. Gray was the song of old age, yet her hair had failed to sing its songs. She fitted the picture he knew since he was still ten years. Nothing about her had changed nothing.

She has been through a lot. Guilt crawled through Bozo's stomach triggering regrets and maybes. He should have remained here to help her. He should have found her earlier.

“You are my son? You are…Bozo?”

“How did you know my name, Mmechi made sure we remained hidden from the rest of the village?” Bozo said as he helped her to her feet. He could still hear the rustle and the crushing leaves, he still remembered the night when Mmechi had smuggled them out of the village, for fear of being discovered. Those were poignant memories, one he wished would remain at bay, for the moment at least. This was not the time to swim in regrets and sadness. Meeting his mother was a coincidence, they were at war. And if he was not vigilant, he might lose his head too.

“Hold still,” Bozo said. Her eyes were glued to him, but he was not paying attention again. The arrow had pinned her to the tree and if he was not careful, he might cause more damage. “I am going to try and pull out the arrow, but first I need you to look away.”

“I am a warrior too, you know?”

Bozo nodded. She had the warrior instinct but he doubt she could manage a sword. Not after what had happened. She had a death wish too. If he hadn’t stepped in to catch the last arrow, she might have ended up dead. 

Bozo broke the butt of the arrow and carefully pulled her hands out with the other end of the arrow still trapped on the tree.

“Kachi,” he shouted before returning his attention to his mother. “My men would take you to safety. I will see you after all this is over.”

Ejima shook her head. “I am not going anywhere. This war must stop, now.”

Bozo chuckled. Kachi had broken out of his hiding place and was running towards them. In his hands was the rein of Bozo’s black stallion. A horse he had named, Ghost, some few days ago. “Take her to safety,” Bozo grunted and took the rein from the commander, “Make sure her injuries are attended to.”

Kachi nodded and tried to take Ejima, but the woman would have none of it.

“I said this war should end now.”

Bozo pretended not to have heard her. His interest was in the man, standing alone, with a notched arrow, waiting for the best moment to attack. From Bozo’s estimate, at least thirty men were hiding behind the King, and fifty-six on the two hands of the road. The rest of his armies were also stationed behind the trees and some paces from where they stood. If the sniffers were correct, then there are about sixty-six thousand warriors of Ame. A fragment of his vast army.

“You are the king of the Outcast?” Uche shouted.

“That depends on who is asking.” Bozo mounted his horse and drew out his sword.

“I will give you one chance to walk away before I slaughter you and feed your head to the worms," Uche yelled and aimed.

Pathetic. Bozo snorted and tapped the neck of Ghost, trying to steady the agitating animal. It was as if the animal had sensed the cowardice underneath the king’s voice.

“Please,” Ejima came running towards Bozo, “This fight should stop. Please, I beg you. If you believe that I am your mother, then you must know that that man is your father.”

“He is not my father,” Bozo screamed. Mmechi had told them everything. She had narrated the details to their teenage minds. Maduka was the lenient one, the diplomat. But not him. He had hated his father since day one. For everything, he had done to his mother. He had hated him. This was one of the reasons why he had strayed from this land. Staying away was the best way not to be entangled with all of these messes. Too bad he cannot run away from his destiny. He must tackle this problem now.

“Tell that fool to give me the rat that came running into his hole, and perhaps I will let him live.” 

“What rat?” Ejima asked, with confusion wrapping her aging skin.

“Did you say, Father? Are you my child?” Uche’s shoulders lowered. Like Ejima, he also had that confusion on his face but was also conscious.

“We can negotiate that later. This is not a family reunion. Give me the rat in your hole.”

“Watch your tongue you son of a barren woman.” King Nnaji shrieked as he jumped out from his hiding place and took his stance beside Uche. “I am not a rat and certainly was not hiding from a coward like you. For killing Kalu, you will pay, I assure you.”

“Ahh, you are in the hole after all.” Bozo laughed. He signaled Kachi to take his mother away, but the woman was just so stubborn for his liking.

“Please, my child. Listen to my plea. Let this be the first favor I will ever ask of you. Will you deny me?”

Bozo’s heart swelled with anger. He wanted to push her aside and hurry toward Uche and King Nnaji. For killing Maduka and his family, he wanted to make the two pay for their sins, King Nnaji especially. But as the minutes passed by, he found his muscle turning stiff and the anger in his heart ebbing away. What was happening to him? Could it be his mother’s plea? No, that was impossible. Nobody has ever had such an effect on him before and certainly not a woman he had watched from a distance while growing up.  

“That man killed my brother.” Bozo spat and the fire in his eyes kindled when they fell on King Nnaji.

“And the man you called your father stabbed me thrice.” Ejima held his hands, “The warrior’s creed, my son. Do you know the warrior’s creed?”

“Bluh, that’s a creed for the weak. KIDAV is what men without guts hide under when their bravery stands trial.”

“It is not,” Ejima squeezed his hands gently. She was all tears but Bozo had chosen not to look into her eyes for fear of giving up his mission and sword. “Killing begets death. Death begets Anger. Anger begets Vengeance. And Vengeance begets killing. That’s the circle, my child. Take a look around you and you will find out that that’s what’s happening to us right now.”

“You speak like him. You sound so much like Maduka.”

“We share the same blood.” Ejima sobbed, “Please don’t let this anger define you. You are better than this.”

Bozo wiped his eyes, not knowing when the tears had formed. He hated this feeling. He hated feeling weak. Yet, something deep within told him that this was the right call. He was hurting too and needed a shoulder to share his pain with.

“Wow, this is interesting. Family reunion. Why didn’t I see this one coming?” Uche spat, “Friends and enemy working together. I will give you one last chance to stand down. Call off your army and I will spare your life and that of your wretched mother.”

Bozo did not look at Uche, but the man’s words sent an icy chill down his spine. He'd had enough. He would rather die than let Uche or Nnaji treat him like a chicken.

“Mother,” Bozo smiled and took Ejima’s face into his hands, “I am sorry. I wish I had the opportunity to get to know you more.”

“What do you mean?” Ejima asked.

But Bozo was no longer paying attention. He drove his heel into Ghost’s sides and the horse neighed in delight and started to gallop with a thunderous force towards the two kings. 

“It’s a trap,” Someone said but Bozo did not hear. The winds were already singing in his ears, and each swift step toward Uche made him realize how soon the battle was going to end. He was the bigger fish, Nnaji, and Uche on the other hand are nothing but a fragment in the wind.