The Transformation

Marigold's POV

"You have to hide! They're here for me!" he exclaimed, grabbing me and rushing me over to a nearby dresser. "I'm sorry, but this is the best hiding spot I have. You can't come out, no matter what happens or what you hear! The Stone Table is just north of here. Leave only after they're done with me, but remember to stay quiet!" He warned, pushing me inside and closing the door. 

I tried to refuse, but before I could say anything, I heard his door being busted open and more growling. 

"Tumnus the Faun, I hear you've met a human." A deep voice rang out. 

"Maugrim, hello. Um, n-no, n-nope. No h-humans h-here." Tumnus stuttered out. 

The chaos that followed made it impossible to say what happened next. All I could hear was Tumnus screaming out in agony. I couldn't resist the temptation any longer and burst open the dresser door, ignoring his prior warnings.

As I watched in horror, a wolf sunk its jaws into one of Tumnus' legs. "Stop it!" I exclaimed, my fear turning into anger. 

"Well, well, well... What do we have here?" The wolf's voice sounded familiar, and as he spoke, I realized it was Maugrim.

"Leave him alone." I tried to sound brave, even though I was petrified. 

"Wait a moment. You're a human, but you're not a child... You're coming with us!" He demanded with a growl. Suddenly, more wolves appeared, surrounding us and blocking any escape.

"Don't do it!" Tumnus called out only for the wolf to bite his leg again, making him yell in pain. 

Desperate to save Tumnus, I offered myself instead. "No! Stop! I'll go with you, just get your wolves off of him!"

"You have my word." Maugrim nodded and gestured for the wolf holding onto Tumnus to let him go. 

I walked out of the house with Maugrim, despite Tumnus' protests and pleadings, and followed him to a sleigh of some sort. He nodded to a nearby dwarf, telling him to go into the house.

"What is it, Maugrim?" A feminine voice asked out from inside the cover of the sleigh.

"There's something you should see, Your Majesty." Maugrim said. 

"I don't have time for your games, wolf." The invisible woman spat.

"My Queen. Please." The wolf bowed in submission. 

A few moments later, a tall and pale woman emerged from inside the sleigh. Her eyes widened as they met mine. 

"Who are you? You're not one of the four!" She asked me, rather upset. 

"I'm sorry! I don't know why I'm here! I just walked through a wardrobe and now I'm here!" I explained, fear coursing through my veins. This was no doubt the Witch Tumnus warned me about.

She held up her staff and pointed it at me. "You didn't answer my question. Who. Are. You?" She spat.

"My n-name is Mari." I stuttered in fear. My hands were in the air, signally no harm, although I don't think she cared.

"Mari." The Witch repeated. "I am Jadis, Queen of Narnia. Tell me, Mari, what you were doing with a treasonous faun?" She asked me. 

I had to play it like I didn't know what was going on. 

"Oh, Your Majesty. I apologize. I just got here and I didn't know. He just invited me over for tea but we didn't get a chance to speak as your wolves came in." I said. Bowing my head to her to sell it. 

"She came out of a dresser, my Queen." Maugrim explained, calling out my lie.

"Hiding from us? Now, Mari... I don't believe you're telling the truth. I also don't trust whatever reason the deep magic has for letting you in." She told me.