Chapter 1

'*•.¸♡ ♡¸.•*'

The Empty Mantle

'*•.¸♡ ♡¸.•*'

WHEN THE TOWN CAR rolled to a stop in front of Wayne Manor Aurora took in the view. The house itself had been around for years. It was a grand home. It somewhat reminded her of her own family home back in Paris. 

The driver had gotten out of the car and took Aurora's bag out of the drunk. She had only packed for a couple of nights. It should be a short and intimate trip. 

Aurora stepped out of the car and thanked the driver by handing him a crisp blue-striped bill. She took her bag and headed up the steps. She pulled out her keys and flipped around until she found the key with an imprinted WM in the center. She unlocked the door and stepped inside. 

The house was quiet and that made an unfamiliar feeling crawl under Aurora's skin. When Dick was here the house didn't feel like this. It felt like something was off. She didn't get the same happy feeling she used to get when she would come to visit. Yes, Gotham was a gloomy city but this house never reflected it. 

She continued to make her way through the house stopping when she entered the living room. Sitting above the fireplace was the infamous Wayne family portrait. She remembered how she had to sit in a position for an hour while the photographer took pictures until he found the perfect one to paint with. She could only imagine how many hours Bruce had to sit still alongside his parents. 

The grandfather clock chimed pulling Aurora's attention. She made her way to stand in front of it. She adjusted the hands to the right time. Once she did the clock handles spun out as the clock slid to the side revealing a secret pathway within the wall. 

Stepping inside the pathway she made her way down the steps that led into the Batcave. She heard the sounds of grunts and wooden sticks slapping together. She peered down to find Bruce making work of a younger man. She slowed her steps as she took in the sight. 

The younger man turned his head to the steps when he noticed Aurora. Due to his loss of concentration, Bruce was very easily able to knock the boy completely off his feet. 

"Don't lose your focus." Bruce reached out and offered the boy a hand. 

The younger man took Bruce's hand and hopped back to his feet. "We've got an intruder." He then flicked his head in Aurora's direction. 

The girl simply crossed her arms over her chest as she reached the bottom of the steps. "Apparently." Her eyes skimmed over the boy. He had a lean muscular figure. Spikey hair. Sharp jawline. He was physically appealing.