Chapter 22

Lisa rang the doorbell to the apartment after blindly making it to the high-rise building from an address sent over text.

After hearing a bit of shuffling inside, the door opened to reveal a tall, spectacled man with tied up greying hair. His appearance was a bit dishevelled as if he hadn't gotten enough sleep.

"Hi, Dad," Lisa said casually, "long time no see."

He seemed a bit shocked for a second, then smiled broadly.

"Lisa! I didn't expect to see you!" he said, stepping aside.

"Come in, come in!"

Lisa did as he instructed and stepped into the apartment. It was spacious and well-decorated, almost to the point of not seeming lived in. The only messy area was a desk with a computer situated in the corner - papers were strewn about, some even littering the floor nearby.

"I'm sorry for not texting you before showing up," Lisa said, "To be honest, I didn't really expect to be stopping by."

"Ah, that's fine," her dad replied with a smile. "I told you to come by anytime. I'm bad with texting anyway."

Her father motioned her to sit on the sofa which was a trendy sectional. She did so, hesitantly removing her backpack to place on the floor in front of her.

"I've got some coffee from my recent trip to Columbia," her dad said. "Want some?"

"Uh, sure, sounds interesting"

As her father disappeared into the kitchen to brew the drinks, Lisa rested her face in her hands. What was she even doing? Her mind had gone blank after the incident with Jennie, but the last thing she wanted was to see her mother at a time like this. So, her feet carried her here, to the apartment that her father said he'd been staying in after recently flying into town.

Although she had never spent much time with her dad at all, especially growing up, she never really felt awkward around him. She'd gotten in touch with him since she started high school when he reached out to her and her sister. There were apparently times he tried to see them prior to that, but her mom forbids him, and they didn't have enough autonomy to speak with him themselves yet.

She didn't see him particularly often since he was usually out of the country much less the state, but she talked to him over text and call sometimes. He enjoyed sending her pictures from his expeditions and he'd promised to take her on a trip to wherever she wanted once she graduated.

Not that she was sure she'd ever take him up on it.

Her dad returned to the living room with two steaming cups, setting one on the coffee table in front of Lisa. He sat in an adjacent sofa chair.

"So, what's new?" he asked. "Likin' the new school?"

"Well, it's better than the old one," Lisa replied.

"I guess that's something then."

"I'm surprised you decided to rent an apartment here when you move around so much," Lisa stated.

"Ah, no, it's not mine," her dad replied.

"A friend of mine is letting me rent it out while he's away on holiday."

"You sure have a ton of connections..."

There was a moment of awkward silence as her dad appeared to try his hardest to come up with something to talk about. Lisa knew he couldn't just outright ask 'so what did you come here for?'. Not that he'd probably mind if Lisa came here without a reason, but it would certainly be a bit out of character. Normally it was her dad who initiated actual face-to-face meetings.