25. You and I

The sheer intimacy of eye contact isn't talked about enough. The jolt, the awareness, the yearning, hearts and minds racing. All without a word. Without a touch. 

The eyes truly have their own language. 

This is what these two learned that day in the concert when for a brief jarring moment Siddharth's eyes met Chetna's in the crowd. 

The loud cheering of the crowd dulled to a low thrum, his hands went on autopilot and his breathing hitched. 

He had been distracted the whole day as he waited for the moment they would see each other. He'd had a million imaginary conversations in his head. He had imagined every conceivable scenario and every answer he could give her. 

Yug and Meera were dying to ask Siddharth what had transpired after their conversation the other day but between catching a few hours of sleep and a final soundcheck they really didn't have time to dwell on it. 

Siddharth wasn't a big sharer and they knew they would have to really dig. They steered clear so as not to push any wrong buttons before their performance. 

He was disappointed to see that Chetna hadn't shown up before the actual performance began. He wanted to clear everything up before he got on stage. He tried to reason with himself. Maybe she was occupied with responsibilities. She would get here in time. She would. 

He started losing hope when they got on stage and he couldn't spot her in the designated area. He looked several times but no sign of her. 

Yug gave him an understanding glance while Angad interacted with the audience. 

All too soon they were nearing the end of the first half of the concert. 

Siddharth could feel little splinters in his heart. Her absence was a clear sign of her feelings. 

As they walked backstage for a short break everyone gave him an encouraging pat or squeeze. Siddharth did not have the heart to talk about it. He would get the concert over with and then process it all. He would inevitably cross paths with her tomorrow at the reception in Delhi. He dreaded the conversation they would have then. 

A dark cloud hung around Siddharth's head. He did not feel as high and elated as concerts usually made him feel. So many girls stood outside, screaming, fangirling and singing along with them. None of them mattered to him anymore. 

He could only think about that one girl, her soft lips, her twinkling eyes, her soothing voice. The girl who hadn't shown up today. 

So when they walked back out to thundering applause and cheers he was frozen as his eyes met with those honey-coloured ones. His guitar almost slipped out of his hands. He took his spot on stage almost in a trance, never breaking eye contact with her. 

Chetna seemed to be lost in a world of her own. She gave him a slight, unsure smile. He returned it with one of his rare ones. 

Almost breathlessly he realized that she had made it in time for his song. The one he had prepared especially for her, just for this moment. Quickly he motioned for his friends and Yug understood immediately. His eyes scanned the crowd and he spotted Chetna. 

Angad announced to the crowd,

"And now can we hear some cheers for Siddharth Kashyap, ladies and gentlemen! He is here with a very special song dedicated to all the new lovers out there. Sway to the rhythm of You and I by John Legend."

He stepped back and let Siddharth take his place. Siddharth adjusted the microphone and began. 

"You fix your make-up, just so