Chapter Three

Recap: As Desi's car slowed down, I relieved the pressure on the gas pedal. Wait. This is the neighborhood for rich people. Could Desi really live here...

We turned in and eventually stopped in front of one house.

"Oh my god."

***

Chapter Three

^^^Picture of Desi's outfit above^^^

Desi got out of her car, her car going bloop-bloop as she locked it. The sound pulled me out of my shock and I got out of my car as well, but that didn't stop me from gawking at what I could only call a monstrosity of a house.

The house was ginormous, approximately three times the size of my house. Framing the house was a beautiful garden with more types of flowers then I could count. And, to top it all off, a huge fountain was centered in her yard. I guess I shouldn't feel quite as bad about Desi buying me all my clothes...

I guess Desi ignored my shock, or was at least used to people reacting this way, because she flippantly said,"Hurry up with your bags. My parents aren't here, so you don't have to worry about us bothering anyone." She tossed me a set of keys while adding,"I have to get some more stuff in the trunk, so you can just let yourself in."

Catching the keys, I grabbed my stuff and hurried to the door. After juggling my bags and the keys, I finally jammed the key into the door. Twisting the key, I pushed open the door, stumbled inside and gasped.

I stood at the doorway in awe. If I thought the outside was outstanding, the inside left me speechless. There was a gleaming white slightly spiraling staircase on each side of the foyer. The walls were decorated with expressive art, and priceless vases sat on ornate tables.

Desi walked up the steps with a giant, heavy-looking box, so I quickly got over my shock and moved deeper into the house to give her room to come in.

"God, this is heavy," she grunted as she struggled through the door. I jolted to my senses and placed my bags on the floor so I could have a free hand to help.

"You all right, Desi? Need any help with that?" I stepped toward her, and was about to grab the other side when she snapped, "I've got it. I'm not incompetent. I can carry a little box, Dayna. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to put this away. You can put your bags in my room. Just go upstairs and on the third level, turn right. The last door on the right is mine." She left me there as she walked deeper into the house.

I sighed and once again picked up my bags. Desi was strange. Sometimes she was kind, and other times she was rude and spiteful. There was a serious personality shift when I offered to carry that box, I mused as I trudged up the stairs. Maybe she was just being hospitable. Or maybe she was hostile.

Maybe she's hiding something, my inner thoughts piped in. Well, whatever. I won't be nosy. I'm a guest, and I need to act that way.

I finally reached the third floor, almost passing out in relief. I turned right and as she said, there was a door at the end of the carpeted hallway was a door that boldly said, "Enter without my permission and I will break your phone into little pieces and make you eat it."

Okkkkkkay. Maybe I'll wait out here. That seems extreme, and although Desi said I could put my bags in her room, I believed she'd do it. I flopped on the floor and promptly made myself comfortable on top of the shopping bags. My and my phone's health meant too much to me then to risk that special kind of torture.

Before I knew it, she was right in front of me, panting from racing upstairs.

"Hey," she gasped." Why didn't you just go in?

I just pointed at the door. "Oh! That's for my little brother. He can be a bit of a brat. He sneaks into my room and puts fake moths in my bed while I'm sleeping. I can't stand moths."

"Good to know," I replied. "Where is your brother anyway?"

"He's at a sleepover. Otherwise I wouldn't invite anyone over. He would only pester you," she said over her shoulder as she opened her room door.

I got up off the floor, picked up my bags, and followed her into her room. At this point, I shouldn't be shocked by anything in this house, but I would be lying if I didn't drool at some of the things in her room.

Her room was a light red, but you almost couldn't tell with all of the stuff on the wall. She had posters of John Travolta and Panic! at the Disco and pictures of owls plastered all over her walls. Her room was huge, with a 50 inch plasma TV in front of her king size bed decorated with red and white zigzag stripes, a chrome mini fridge, an Xbox Kinect, a polished desk with a swivel chair, and a beautifully carved dresser with a mirror on top. She even had a wardrobe just like the one in Narnia. I don't even see the sense of having both a dresser and a wardrobe, but whatever.

As I sat my bags down on the floor, Desi flopped on the bed and sighed. "Oh my god, that box was heavy! But thanks for offering to carry it. I didn't want you to carry it because your my guest and that would be kind of rude, making you do heavy lifting while you were here."

"No problem," I said as I sat in her desk chair. "I was just trying to be polite."

She chuckled and replied,"My mom would have a heart attack if I let a guest carry a box of be-I mean, a heavy box." She looked flustered at her slip of the tongue. Or was it a slip of the tongue? Maybe she was about to say what was in the box. She was awfully defensive about that box, plus she wouldn't even let me help carry the box or tell me what was inside of it. You're being paranoid. My internal voice said. Maybe it's just a family heirloom or something and she doesn't want it to be broken.

"Okay," Desi yelped as she leaped off of the bed. "I have some other friends from my...old school coming over for a little get together. It would be great if you could wear that blue dress that I bought you. You can wear some of my silver heels to go with it. And this is the outfit I'm going to wear," she said with a flourish.

She shows me a gorgeous red tea-length chiffon dress, her usual leather jacket, and killer black leather heels. With it, she held a petite black leather clutch.

"Why do we have to dress up so much?" I inquired. "If it's just your friends, why dress up like we're going to a-"

I stop talking, because I realize why she made me buy a nice dress, why she was carrying that heavy box, why she was inviting friends over, and why she told me specifically that no one was home.

"Wait," I said. "That's exactly what's going to happen. You're throwing a-"

"Party," she interrupted. "That's right good girl, you're going to help me throw a party."

A/N: Sorry for the long wait guys! One month is a pretty long time to be away, but I had state testing, then studying for finals, then doing finals, but I'm back, baby! Haha, but I will be updating more often. I might create an updating schedule, like once a week, but no promises! Okay, I sincerely hoped you enjoyed this chapter, so vote and comment!

_idiot_thinking_